Accepted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ukegal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just accepted at 2 schools (I'm still waiting to hear back from 4). One of them only gave me 10 days to reply back with my decision. That's way too little time to make up my mind! What is the timeline other people have to work with to notify schools of your decision? The other school gave me a month, which I think is more reasonable.

Members don't see this ad.

I received an acceptance in late Jan. They gave me 2 weeks to reply and either pay a deposit to reserve my spot or decline. One of the options was a 2 week extension, which I took. But now here I am at that point, and still waiting to hear from the other 4 schools I applied to. One of them I should hear from within a week or 2. I had an interview last week that went well. But it's frustrating that I have to pay the first school I was accepted to simply because of their time limit, even though I'd like to consider other options if I get them! I won't get that money back...sigh.

This just goes to show how much OT school is a business. They don't care about you as a student -- they care about making their money. How disappointing.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
This just goes to show how much OT school is a business. They don't care about you as a student -- they care about making their money. How disappointing.

Huh?

You've been sorely misled if you think education of every kind and level must not be run in business-like manner. When you "get big," run for your local school board.:scared: And hold on, for it'll be one of the first real-life learning lessons of your sorely sheltered existance, I fear.:rolleyes:

btw, if you think places will provide OT @ a loss? Hang on.:eek:

No. That's not what I'm saying.

I applied to private schools who advertise that one of their values into care about their students. I had a death in my family last week and haven't been able to look into financial aid or whatever yet can't get an extension. I think that's sad. What difference is a week, honestly, for a program that starts in August or September?

That is what I'm referring to.

No. That's not what I'm saying.

I applied to private schools who advertise that one of their values into care about their students. I had a death in my family last week and haven't been able to look into financial aid or whatever yet can't get an extension. I think that's sad. What difference is a week, honestly, for a program that starts in August or September?

That is what I'm referring to.

First, sorry about the death in your family. Have you explained that to the powers that be? I find it impossible to imagine that a close death would not enable a brief extension. I apologize if you noted this as the source of your desired/needed delay in responding and consequent message about how this school doesn't "care."

Conversely, the school's need to press on in no way is a barometer of 'caring.' (Do you plan to provide free and reduced-cost care? Volunteer your OT services? Good, we'd hope you might.)

What difference is a week? A long time for the candidate waiting for you to make up your mind.

I find your allegation about schools "making money" to be possibly naive, immature.

Let's get real here.

Yes, I did explain the situation and they still said no. You don't have to be a jerk about it. While their "need to progress" may not show that they care, the way they talked to me when I called to ask for an extension did.

You don't have to reply if you're going to be mean. I just came here to vent about my frustrations with schools not cutting me a little bit of a break. I've been out of town for a week for the funeral, and to come back to a letter saying I need to decide within a couple days is overwhelming.

Whistle Pig- Lighten up dude and cut ukegal some slack.. Geez. Being an OT is largely about having empathy- Now is a good time to start.

ukegal- I'm very sorry for your loss. Unless the school that is pressuring you is your only (or 1st) choice, why not tell them no? Their lack of understanding for your situation should make your decision all that much easier. Good luck on your decision and congrats on getting accepted!

Yep, I'm going to pass on them because of this incident. And I understand they want to know my decision so they can let alternates know, but I don't feel that I was wrong to ask for an extension.

One school gave me 10 days from the date of the letter...but I received the letter about 2 days before that deadline. Another school gave me two weeks, but I talked to them and got an extension. I would just try talking to someone in admissions and explain your situation. Some may not do anything because of a large volume of applicants, but hopefully others will understand! So sorry for your loss and good luck!