General Admissions & OTCAS OT School Acceptance Chance with my GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cr39284

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I will keep this short and simple. I am a currently an undergrad student in my last semester looking to apply this next upcoming cycle but I am extremely worried about my chances due to my GPA. I will have about a 3.45 Cumulative GPA, and 3.25 Prereq. GPA. I have 72 observation hours currently (and will accumulate more before applying), and I played 4 years of college football. I am just wondering if with that bit of information if anybody could give me some idea if I would be considered an actual competitive candidate for OT School or not. Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Make an awesome personal statement and have good recs! I think you’ll be fine

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone, I will keep this short and simple. I am a currently an undergrad student in my last semester looking to apply this next upcoming cycle but I am extremely worried about my chances due to my GPA. I will have about a 3.45 Cumulative GPA, and 3.25 Prereq. GPA. I have 72 observation hours currently (and will accumulate more before applying), and I played 4 years of college football. I am just wondering if with that bit of information if anybody could give me some idea if I would be considered an actual competitive candidate for OT School or not. Thank you so much!
It would definitely depend on the program as some will automatically reject you over a GPA, but there are holistic programs out there! Personally I'm a second-year student myself and have interviewed candidates and we have overlooked the minimum GPA requirement if the candidate answers the question very well, explains what they will do to be successful for the academic rigor of the program (I also did not have a great GPA but explained during my interview) and of course having a good personal statement.

Interestingly enough OT programs have been having a hard time filling seats and I have definitely seen some of this firsthand where some programs are having issues with filling their seats, so there is definitely hope and worth applying! Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It would definitely depend on the program as some will automatically reject you over a GPA, but there are holistic programs out there! Personally I'm a second-year student myself and have interviewed candidates and we have overlooked the minimum GPA requirement if the candidate answers the question very well, explains what they will do to be successful for the academic rigor of the program (I also did not have a great GPA but explained during my interview) and of course having a good personal statement.

Interestingly enough OT programs have been having a hard time filling seats and I have definitely seen some of this firsthand where some programs are having issues with filling their seats, so there is definitely hope and worth applying! Good luck!
Thank you so much for the advice, I truly appreciate this so, so much!!

Hi! Your stats are fine!! make sure you have an AMAZING personal statement and very compelling experience entries. if you need help with this, check out flemingograd.com

Hi! I had a 3.9 cumulative GPA but only had a 3.4 prereq GPA. I was given interviews for every school I applied to except for one (MUSC). I applied to 12 total! OTD programs are very competitive BUT if you have a solid personal statement and letters of recommendation, you should be fine. Also, try to get as many shadowing experience as possible. If not that, work as a Rehab Tech. That’s what I did and I was a Rehab CNA for 3 years, and got a solid chance of getting in in every school I applied to. Haven’t gotten denied once. Look for schools that have a history of looking at applicants hollistically!

I got into 2 OTD programs this cycle with a 2.7-2.9cGPA and much less observation hours than you have (Roughly 20 observation hours). Just make sure the rest of your application rocks, and show the admissions committee that what you have done outside the classroom gave you experience and understanding that instruction inside the classroom never could. My GPA stunk, but I worked hard on my personal statement, and I found people who were very close to me in the professional world and would write me quality letters of rec- I didn't just ask my bosses, I asked my coworkers and others who could speak to me as a person beyond just being an employee. I am heavily involved in my community through my church and in my state-affiliate political party, and so I made sure to talk about those experiences as well as they were invaluable in developing my professional skills, college football would be exactly that for you. Are you taking a gap year? Many applicants have already submitted their materials, I know that with a weaker profile, I submitted all of my program materials by October so that I would be one of the first to get reviewed by schools with rolling admissions, and that might help you. Good luck! You got this!!

please please correct me if I'm wrong, but seems like playing college football would also mean you are male or male identifying, and as the OT world is primarily female, little things like that can make a difference in your application. for diversity questions you could take that opportunity to talk about how that part of your identity has shaped you going into OT or the barriers/struggles you've faced by deciding to go into this mostly female dominated field :)