Accepting Position Knowing I will Most Likely Leave

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

</TheBeautifulGame>

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am fresh out of residency and move with my husband who is doing a 1 year fellowship. I have just been offered a job. My husband and I most likely plan to move after he is done, unless he can find a job he likes here in this city, which there does not seem to be many in private practice in his field at the moment. Is it rude of me accepting this new job knowing Qi will most likely be leaving in 6 months? We have struggled to pay bills and rent on his salary, since I most mine after finishing residency and therefore I have been searching.

Members don't see this ad.

It’s not rude for you to do what you need to do for yourself and your family. The people hiring you wouldn’t hesitate to let you go if they found they didn’t need you.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would be honest about your possible life trajectory.
Unless directly asked, I probably wouldn't. You don't want to burn any bridges, and you don't want to seem like you're deceiving anyone, but the OP said she has struggled to find a job fresh out of residency. At the end of the day, she needs to get into practice to make her more attractive to future potential employers. If OP's plans change down the line, well that's always a possibility with any hire.

Plus, I also don't think you're being disingenuous by signing on. Who knows what your husband's job market is going to look like in 6 months? It may well be that some door opens for him and you're able to stay in this job. Maybe it won't. But since you can't predict the future, you should take this job with zero reservations.

Reactions: 4 users
Agree with @GoSpursGo, you don't know that you will actually leave quite yet. Similarly you don't know that this job really is all it's cracked up to be. It'll take you at least 3 months to get your feet underneath you to even have a clue that this is a place you would want to work long term (maybe even longer). It's well documented how quickly most new attendings change jobs. Yes your husband's job search is a major factor, but there are plenty of other reasons why this may not be the job for you.

What would be wrong is if you walk in the door on day one already mentally checked out. If anyone asks, the absolutely honest answer is that you don't know where your husband's career would take him, he is looking for a job in your current city, you have bills to pay, and need to continue your own professional development.

Reactions: 1 users
Honestly... who cares. You gotta pay bills...

Just don't burn bridges and say "Oh I thought this was my dream job, but my husband can't stay here cause X, Y, Z. But I wish I could. I'll miss you guyz!!!111eleven!!!11" and leave on a good note.
saltbae.gif

Hello,
I am fresh out of residency and move with my husband who is doing a 1 year fellowship. I have just been offered a job. My husband and I most likely plan to move after he is done, unless he can find a job he likes here in this city, which there does not seem to be many in private practice in his field at the moment. Is it rude of me accepting this new job knowing Qi will most likely be leaving in 6 months? We have struggled to pay bills and rent on his salary, since I most mine after finishing residency and therefore I have been searching.
I would say that it somewhat depends on your specialty and job circumstances. If it is academic and specifically if the institution would have you take on a special niche clinic or other venture, then I would probably be honest about your plans. In the world of pediatric subspecialties, particularly not PICU/NICU, it's a relatively small world and you don't want to burn bridges.

It’s not rude to accept the job knowing you’ll be leaving in a year. Just be careful to not burn bridges on your way out because you might need a reference letter or something.