Do you think it would be fair to let one's pediatrician know that they misdiagnosed them as a child?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Proudfather94

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
On a study break and thinking about this and wondering if you would want to know you made a pretty large impact on someone's life by diagnosing them with something that they don't have.

Members don't see this ad.

I mean, I guess. What’s the point though? Like it was some rare disease and you are generally trying to educate them or is this some sort of vendetta?
More like trying to get closure for it since it had a pretty big impact on my life. I don't see how it would help at this point though and would probably just make her feel like crap.

Members don't see this ad :)
More like trying to get closure for it since it had a pretty big impact on my life. I don't see how it would help at this point though and would probably just make her feel like crap.
So more like vendetta then anything else? I suppose, if it brings you closure.

I mean, I’m not here to judge. Hope it works out.

So more like vendetta then anything else? I suppose, if it brings you closure.

I mean, I’m not here to judge. Hope it works out.
Honestly I don't think I'm going to at this point. It wouldn't fix anything and making someone feel bad about it wouldn't make me feel better. It sucks but oh well.

Would it help it prevent other children from getting misdiagnosed in the future?

There is not enough information here to know if this would be beneficial. But also the tone and intent would be important. "I wanted to let you know as a learning experience for your future patients" is a much different message than "You misdiagnosed me 20 years ago and screwed up my life and I want you to feel bad." If the only reason you want to do this is "for closure," then I think your idea of confronting your pediatrician is likely misguided because it will not actually bring you any closure. Only you can give yourself closure and move on.

Reactions: 1 users
On a study break and thinking about this and wondering if you would want to know you made a pretty large impact on someone's life by diagnosing them with something that they don't.
As GoSpursGo said, I would need more information to know if this would be beneficial. Your question is too vague. If you provide details of the diagnosis and results, I could give you a better answer. Without straightforward information, I cannot.

Either way, good luck with your decision on speaking with the doc.