accepting Rx's a few mins before close

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Muse600

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I keep getting stuck in the trap of taking in new Rx's a few minutes before close.

I try to squeeze them out really quickly for guest satisfaction (which has been built up pretty well by the previous Rx manager), but random stuff always happens. We accept it while ringing out other guests picking up, but it needs MD clarification (and they're closed), we don't have it in stock, they have coupons to add which I can never bill it through properly, we can't find the hard copy for an on-hold Rx, etc.

How do you usually handle it?

Just say "we'll take it for tomorrow, but it's not happening tonight."?

Members don't see this ad.

So I keep getting stuck in the trap of taking in new Rx's a few minutes before close.

I try to squeeze them out really quickly for guest satisfaction (which has been built up pretty well by the previous Rx manager), but random stuff always happens. We accept it while ringing out other guests picking up, but it needs MD clarification (and they're closed), we don't have it in stock, they have coupons to add which I can never bill it through properly, we can't find the hard copy for an on-hold Rx, etc.

How do you usually handle it?

Just say "we'll take it for tomorrow, but it's not happening tonight."?

Your situation dictates your action no matter how happy you want to make your guest. If you don't have it in stock, and you are about to close, it is probable that it will be two days before you could fill anyways.

I am basing this on all my other experiences (15 yrs of management experience).. not my distorted student worldview.

Last edited:
When I was in retail, we used to start the shutdown process about 30 minutes to closing.

If we're closing at 6PM.

530PM - I'm taking out the garbage and refilling vials/caps/paper.
540PM - Pharmacy gates are 3/4 closed so if someone walks into the store, they'll think it's probably closed and walk out. No more drop-off. We'll do pick-up until 559PM.

Anything that gets dropped off past 540PM, we tell them it'll be ready 1 hour after opening the next day.

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends how long before closing and if it's a maintenance drug or acute care. Anibiotics and painkillers are easy to fill real quick. I have told a person over the phone who called 10 mins before closin that we would fill it tomorrow because people tend to value their free time more than ours and I don't believe in rewarding someone who late at night just decided to get their script filled.

This happens a lot at my pharmacy... If they want it that night, I will fill it based on different factors. Most of the time, if the prescription is a simple one, I will fill it just to get the sale, because I don't want to lose the sale to a competitor.

Will Fill:
- If the patient is really nice or a regular, I will do if it's not too many rxs.
- If it's a parent with an antibiotic for their kid.
- Patient who was just discharged from the hospital

Won't Fill:
- Patient is very rude and demanding.
- If rx wasn't written 1 or more weeks ago. I will ask the patient, "Your Dr. gave this to you 2 weeks ago?" I then will see what they say for why they are bringing it last minute

Close the drop off window 30 minutes prior to close.

Tell patients the next day, there is always a 24hr CVS/Walgreens somewhere close if they "need" it.

If it was an emergency the physician would have given the medication at the office/hospital.

Working in retail is a training process for the customers, for example. *Tangent*

Don't go to drive thru until the patient rings the bell.

Don't go to the windows if they knock on the counters or slam their keys down hard.

If you say X wait time, don't do it sooner or let them convince you otherwise, if they are stubborn ask if they want cheese with that or supersized.

If their insurance card is expired and they magically claim they don't know why, tell them to call the insurance because it's not your job to baby sit.

If they run out of meds on a weekend with no refills more than once... Tell them that they need to be more responsible in a nice way and give them 3 days.

I'm a bit cold hearted, but working at the busiest pharmacy in my chain has taken its toll.

OMG I hate, hate, hate when people ring the bell when I am standing right ****ing there. Are you blind? Can you not see that I am looking right at you?!

Please do not "train" people to use the bell.

OMG I hate, hate, hate when people ring the bell when I am standing right ****ing there. Are you blind? Can you not see that I am looking right at you?!

Please do not "train" people to use the bell.

But what if you weren't at the window looking at them? I have people who literally sit there at the drive thru window and just stare in... and they will sit there staring in the window for several minutes and never hit the button. They think we are like McDonalds that has a little buzzer or something that goes off when they come up.

Taking drop offs two minutes before close is just asking to have to stay open an additional 10 minutes. Like if you help one person at the drive thru with a minute left there will be a new insurance card. While you're fixing it really quick, you get an adjudication exception because its an Anthem card and you need to bill ESI. Now three or four cars line up in the drive thru because someone is still there waiting.

But what if you weren't at the window looking at them? I have people who literally sit there at the drive thru window and just stare in... and they will sit there staring in the window for several minutes and never hit the button. They think we are like McDonalds that has a little buzzer or something that goes off when they come up.

Taking drop offs two minutes before close is just asking to have to stay open an additional 10 minutes. Like if you help one person at the drive thru with a minute left there will be a new insurance card. While you're fixing it really quick, you get an adjudication exception because its an Anthem card and you need to bill ESI. Now three or four cars line up in the drive thru because someone is still there waiting.

Ah, that explains the difference. We do have a buzzer that goes off when someone pulls up, and it annoys the crap out of me when people also ring the bell.

Obviously staying late to help someone is the worst case scenario, absolutely unacceptable.

Ah, that explains the difference. We do have a buzzer that goes off when someone pulls up, and it annoys the crap out of me when people also ring the bell.

Obviously staying late to help someone is the worst case scenario, absolutely unacceptable.

Ha ha I remember the bell when I worked retail. Some people would come and ring the bell when the window was closed....once a scary guy came in and asked, "why the **** is the window down?! It says you're open til 9 and it ain't 9! I need my Percocet I'm in pain." It was after 9 but we filled it because e were afraid the dude was going to come in with a glock. AZ gun laws do make me worry sometimes.

This happens a lot at my pharmacy... If they want it that night, I will fill it based on different factors. Most of the time, if the prescription is a simple one, I will fill it just to get the sale, because I don't want to lose the sale to a competitor.

Will Fill:
- If the patient is really nice or a regular, I will do if it's not too many rxs.
- If it's a parent with an antibiotic for their kid.
- Patient who was just discharged from the hospital

Won't Fill:
- Patient is very rude and demanding.
- If rx wasn't written 1 or more weeks ago. I will ask the patient, "Your Dr. gave this to you 2 weeks ago?" I then will see what they say for why they are bringing it last minute

+1

My decision making process is as follows:
Acute med: yes
Chronic med: no (exceptions with BC, onco med, etc)

I work at a 24h store, but during IPPEs at a non-24h, that's how we rolled.

Close the drop off window 30 minutes prior to close.

Tell patients the next day, there is always a 24hr CVS/Walgreens somewhere close if they "need" it.

If it was an emergency the physician would have given the medication at the office/hospital.

Working in retail is a training process for the customers, for example. *Tangent*

Don't go to drive thru until the patient rings the bell.

Don't go to the windows if they knock on the counters or slam their keys down hard.

If you say X wait time, don't do it sooner or let them convince you otherwise, if they are stubborn ask if they want cheese with that or supersized.

If their insurance card is expired and they magically claim they don't know why, tell them to call the insurance because it's not your job to baby sit.

If they run out of meds on a weekend with no refills more than once... Tell them that they need to be more responsible in a nice way and give them 3 days.

I'm a bit cold hearted, but working at the busiest pharmacy in my chain has taken its toll.

Our closest 24 hr is 2.5 hours away and our pharmacy is the last to close in the area. I've stayed late for abx and reopened the pharmacy when a guy in obvious need of an inhaler came in as I was in line at the front register.

My hero. :thumbup:

I am totally serious. That is exactly the kind of pharmacist I want to be. Not that I WANT to be taken advantage of, but I didn't become a pharmacist to make it my goal to be out the door as soon after closing as possible.

Our closest 24 hr is 2.5 hours away and our pharmacy is the last to close in the area. I've stayed late for abx and reopened the pharmacy when a guy in obvious need of an inhaler came in as I was in line at the front register.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nearest Wal-Mart is 1.5 hours, but they're brining one in. Should be here next year. We do have Costco and Winco though. I'm just waiting for Chipotle and/or ColdStone.
I can't see Chipotle going over in California with so many authentic Mexican places to get burritos, but I guess you are far from the border. But now the question everyone on this board wants to know: Do you have In-N-Out?

I can't see Chipotle going over in California with so many authentic Mexican places to get burritos, but I guess you are far from the border. But now the question everyone on this board wants to know: Do you have In-N-Out?

Nope.

I can't see Chipotle going over in California with so many authentic Mexican places to get burritos, but I guess you are far from the border.

Dude, I live in Phoenix, AZ... We have Chipotle, some other chain starting with a Q that's the same thing, Taco Bell, and Del Taco. They all seem to do well, blocks from "authentic" places. :shrug:

I never "got" chipotle. It just isn't that great for the price, IMO, "authenticity" aside.
We've had Moe's for years, but chipotle opened up maybe a little over a year ago. There were like hour long lines outside the place for months. When the hype finally died down and we went, there was still nowhere to sit, since there was only enough seating for maybe 20 people. I thought it was terribly salty, overpriced, crowded, and nothing special. Although I guess they use grass-fed beef, so that's a redeeming factor (Moe's does too though).

Buffalo natives know that Mighty Taco is where it's at.

Dude, I live in Phoenix, AZ... We have Chipotle, some other chain starting with a Q that's the same thing, Taco Bell, and Del Taco. They all seem to do well, blocks from "authentic" places. :shrug:

Qdoba? There are no Chipotles in this area, but there are a lot of Qdobas.

Qdoba > chipotle > baja fresh > pancheros > del taco > taco bell

Nuff said.

Chipotle is overpriced as ****

Maybe I need to revisit Qdoba. The thing I enjoy most about Baja Fresh is $2.95 queso dip with a mad amount of chips & access to the salsa bar. Well, it's a tie between that & the refills on Gold Peak iced tea (before it was common) with the reusable cups. :D

Del Taco trumps all!

I live in Chapel Hill and I drove over 2 hours with a friend (originally from California) so we could go to the Del Taco in Rock Hill, SC. He purchased 30 burritos, put them in a cooler and had burritos for a solid week.

Del Taco > Qdoba > Chipotle > Moes >>>>> Taco Bell

What I've noticed, is that a lot of people want to SAY they like 'authentic' ethnic cuisine... whatever. Give me my bastardized General Tso and volcano burritos any day.

What I've noticed, is that a lot of people want to SAY they like 'authentic' ethnic cuisine... whatever. Give me my bastardized General Tso and volcano burritos any day.

Screw authentic, I want TASTY!

I agree with chemguy... and this thread is making me hungry. Plus the discussion of french fries from earlier. Who is delivering my lunch today??

Hey, 9/10 times I feel like eating mexican-style I eat at the federicos down the street. At least they are giving me real food, not this soy infested meat product junk... I have no idea how authentic they are, or to which part of Mexico, but it sure tastes good.

Those customers who come in right before you close to have something filled have some nerve. I'd ask them where they work and ask them if they like staying over extra for no extra pay.

That's dumb.

I was at a Walgreens and I saw someone ask a pharmacist re-open the pharmacy so he could fill his script. The pharmacist had to call around and ask the nearby Walgreens to fill it for him as a favor and that it'd be ready by the time he got there (5 minutes).

Ridiculous what you guys go through.

I don't mind staying later to help someone who has Express scripts and just left the hospital. We only have one 24 hr store and its Walgreens so obviously a customer has no other choice since everybody closes at 9 in my area.