Accommodations and the mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Im Learning

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to be taking advantage of accommodations while taking the mcat. I'm interested in hearing from others who used them or will use them. How did test prep change? And tips from people who have already taken the test?

-Learning

Members don't see this ad.

Is that because I did not properly search and was unable to find an existing thread, or because people are unaware and insensitive to the needs of those with disabilities.

I'm curious...

because people are unaware and insensitive to the needs of those with disabilities.

That one. That thought can be worded differently, but regardless I hope that you get some good advice out of this thread. The idea that will surface will be that it isn't the commenters here who are insensitive to the needs of those with disabilities, it is medicine itself, as a job that has specific physical and mental needs, that is insensitive to the needs of those with some kinds of disabilities. I won't advocate either here, but it has come up before.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you suggesting that my application to medical schools will adversely affected by, say, extended time on the mcat? Does anyone know if the admissions people will even have access to that knowledge when reviewing my application.

So the idea is that people are not upset because they feel like people are getting an unfair advantage, but because they feel like mixing up letters while reading makes one unsuitable to be a MD? Who are making these claims? notable MDs and academics or undergrads with emotional opinions?

Are you suggesting that my application to medical schools will adversely affected by, say, extended time on the mcat? Does anyone know if the admissions people will even have access to that knowledge when reviewing my application.

So the idea is that people are not upset because they feel like people are getting an unfair advantage, but because they feel like mixing up letters while reading makes one unsuitable to be a MD? Who are making these claims? notable MDs and academics or undergrads with emotional opinions?

I looked into this when I was considering it and they will not be explicitly notified of the circumstances, but there will be an asterisk (*) next to your score that signifies that you received accommodations. To me, that's worse. Then, their imaginations can run wild with what might be wrong with you.

Not the place for that argument, friend. Your argument about "mixing up letters" can be applied to something like "mixing up formulas" or "mixing up numbers" and lead to similar problems on the MCAT, and similar possible clinical issues. I don't want to talk about them here, regardless. iMEDatUCI is correct - your score report that appears on your AMCAS primary will have an asterisk. Be advised that accommodations on the MCAT are also notoriously difficult to receive; not sure whether you've already received AAMC approval or not.

Yes, the MCAT score will have an note that the test was taken under non-standard conditions. I considered asking for them myself. When I asked an admissions committee member about it, he told me to avoid using accommodations if I can because it may cast some doubt on the mcat (as in, the score may be inflated) and more focus will be placed on other parts of the application. That was just one person's opinion, however.

I've been doing some research. I hope people find this helpful:

It's against the law for an admissions committee to use a flagged score differently than a non-flagged score. This is a clear civil rights violation.

American Schools of Medicine must consider applicants on the basis of total personal and academic qualifications without regard to disability but with the clear expectation that all components of the curriculum must be satisfied.

An applicant must present sufficient skills and abilities in the following areas: observation; communication; motor; conceptual; and behavioral. Some technological compensation can be made for certain disabilities, but the overriding concern is that the applicant be able to complete the program in a reasonably independent and timely manner. In meeting all components of the curriculum, the applicant cannot be expected to rely solely on someone else's power of observation and selection. The School must be fully satisfied that the applicant can obtain the full range of skills and abilities needed to be a competent physician.

If able to do these things, an individual is considered to be a qualified individual with a disability or a bright person disclosing a disability. Such people are protected very thoroughly under civil rights laws.

It's against the law for an admissions committee to use a flagged score differently than a non-flagged score. This is a clear civil rights violation.

Good luck arguing that this is why you were rejected before or after an interview. There are many many other reasons any school can claim to have rejected you.

OP, realize that it's next to impossible to get extra time on the USMLE. The MCAT is pretty much the last standardized exam on which you can get extra time. (here's a guy who charges a ton of money just to prepare a letter to try to get you extra time on the USMLE http://thebrainclinic.com/jml2/highstakestesting/27-usmletesting). At some point in your career, you will have to acknowledge that time is of the essence and that performing within a certain time period is crucial to being a doctor (I can see this being more relevant to surgeons and ER docs, but I'm sure it applies at least to some degree to all docs).

I've been doing some research. I hope people find this helpful:

I think you should make a point of expressing that thought in your interviews. See how that works out for you. Best of luck.