Program-Specific Info / Q's Accreditation Concerns

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shorelyot

Reaction score
Hello future OTs. I have applied to multiple OT schools. 3 masters programs that are already accredited and 3 doctorate programs that are currently in candidacy status. I have came to the conclusion to go with one of the doctorate programs since I was waitlisted in the masters programs. I also like this specific program because of its nice location and that I will end up with a higher degree someday. My main concern however is what if this program does not reach full accreditation? I highly doubt this would happen and the OTD staff seems pretty confident that it will not, although anything is possible. Does anyone know of any OT schools (or other healthcare schools in general) that did not reach full accreditation? If so what did the school offer the students to reimburse them? Again, this is a very slim chance that this would happen but since this is a brand new OTD program (not a previous MOT program transitioning to a higher degree) and there is no history to go by (better than a past MOT program they had that failed accreditation at least). I'd appreciate anyone's input on this topic. Comment if anyone has any input. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
May I ask what new OTD programs you applied to? I also applied to some newer programs.
The OTD program I am committing to is Monmouth University. I also applied to Cedar Crest College (accepted as well) and Rutgers University (I never completed the full application for there). But yeah I like Monmouth the most out of all the OTD programs I applied to because of its location and an easier drive compared to the other two. All of these programs are in candidacy status which is a good sign. Just wondering about possibilities and reimbursements if things do not go as planned.

The OTD program I am committing to is Monmouth University. I also applied to Cedar Crest College (accepted as well) and Rutgers University (I never completed the full application for there). But yeah I like Monmouth the most out of all the OTD programs I applied to because of its location and an easier drive compared to the other two. All of these programs are in candidacy status which is a good sign. Just wondering about possibilities and reimbursements if things do not go as planned.
Hi! I also am committing to Monmouth. Somebody told me they will most likely be accreditted but worse case they aren’t we will just need to transfer our credits to another university

I've heard someone say that 5% or less of programs that reach candidacy status don't get accredited. So there is a high chance that those programs will get accredited. Many programs do not take transfer credits should a program not be accredited, but I think some do and that's worth looking into. In terms of reimbursement, I would highly doubt that that would be an option because tuition and fees go towards faculty salaries and so on. I do think it's worth asking program staff what their contingency plans may be.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I also am committing to Monmouth. Somebody told me they will most likely be accreditted but worse case they aren’t we will just need to transfer our credits to another university
I am so glad to also see someone who is also committing to Monmouth! It seems like a great program. Do you happen to live far from Monmouth? I live an hour and 20 minutes away about so I will be living there starting this summer.

I've heard someone say that 5% or less of programs that reach candidacy status don't get accredited. So there is a high chance that those programs will get accredited. Many programs do not take transfer credits should a program not be accredited, but I think some do and that's worth looking into. In terms of reimbursement, I would highly doubt that that would be an option because tuition and fees go towards faculty salaries and so on. I do think it's worth asking program staff what their contingency plans may be.
Good points you made there. I agree, I highly doubt they would reimburse money back to the students. I meant more in the lines of would the OTD staff help the students find other options in order to get our OT license (such as transferring to another university). But yes I will keep in mind to ask what their contingency plans may be.

I am so glad to also see someone who is also committing to Monmouth! It seems like a great program. Do you happen to live far from Monmouth? I live an hour and 20 minutes away about so I will be living there starting this summer.
I’m stressed about the accreditation though. I live 40 minutes so I’m going to commute

Last edited:
I’m stressed about the accreditation though. I live 40 minutes so I’m going to commute
I am going to ask about the accreditation contingency plans when I go tour the OTD labs next week and I can keep you updated. And thats great not a bad commute. I live in South Jersey so it would be far for me.

Reactions: 1 user