Program-Specific Info / Q's Inaugural Class for the University of the Incarnate Word - Accreditation Concerns

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AJOTD

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I recently interviewed with IUW for their OTD program and have gotten unofficially accepted. They are currently waiting for Candidacy status, coming this May.
I just wanted to know if anyone else is planning on attending their inaugural class starting this Fall. Because of cost and location, I am leaning towards this program. They showed promise during the preview/interview day. Their director also have led other programs in the past few years to accreditation for both MSOT and OTD programs. Their staff was amazing and very excited to start the program as well. I kinda just fell in love with the school.
To add onto that, IUW has many medical and health science programs that are solidly established, including Physical Therapy and Athletic Training. Their students seem very happy with those programs. The PT director also spoke during the preview/interview day saying that he is very excited to finally have an OT program at IUW.
It seems like all signs are very positive and their program is very organized and established, considering they have been working on it since 2021. It’s just the fact that they are a very new program that their accreditation status is where it’s at. I know that most programs that achieved candidacy are more likely to get accredited.
Is anyone else on the same boat as me? I’m worried that not many people will be accepting into the program because of this concern!
Regardless, I have been accepted into a few schools and still waiting for final decisions from a couple schools though all of them are out of state, so I have a backup plan just in case!

Let me know your thoughts and comments about their accreditation status and what you have heard or thought about, if any, about the program!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey @AJOTD! I recently got accepted to UIW OTD program too! I was wondering if there’s a Facebook group or even others ways to connect with the incoming cohort as well? It’d be nice to get to know eachother a bit more before classes start!

Hey @AJOTD! I recently got accepted to UIW OTD program too! I was wondering if there’s a Facebook group or even others ways to connect with the incoming cohort as well? It’d be nice to get to know eachother a bit more before classes start!

Oh my gosh! Yaaay! I got the official letter yesterday too. I don’t know if there’s a Facebook group but I’m glad someone’s going with me!! Can’t wait to meet you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there @AJOTD & @LUotd !! I know this post was a while ago, but I am a capstone student from Pacific University's OTD program and am currently working at UIW's OTD program and helping them with some curriculum development and whatnot. I let the faculty know some incoming students were interested in a Facebook group for you all to connect. So, I think one should be made in the near future :) ALSO, they did achieve candidacy a couple of weeks ago woohoo! The faculty here are incredible and if you decide to go here, will be in amazing hands.
If you have any questions at all, don't hesitate to reach out!

Reactions: 2 users
Hi there @AJOTD & @LUotd !! I know this post was a while ago, but I am a capstone student from Pacific University's OTD program and am currently working at UIW's OTD program and helping them with some curriculum development and whatnot. I let the faculty know some incoming students were interested in a Facebook group for you all to connect. So, I think one should be made in the near future :) ALSO, they did achieve candidacy a couple of weeks ago woohoo! The faculty here are incredible and if you decide to go here, will be in amazing hands.
If you have any questions at all, don't hesitate to reach out!

This is so good to hear! I’m 100% going to UIW and am super excited to start!! Thank you so much for this!

Oh my gosh! Yaaay! I got the official letter yesterday too. I don’t know if there’s a Facebook group but I’m glad someone’s going with me!! Can’t wait to meet you!
Yay I’m so excited! I made my deposit weeks ago but I’m just waiting on more info in the coming months. In the meantime, I’d love to connect through social media, so shoot me a message if you’d like to as well since I don’t know when this Facebook group is going to start :)