Accredited Australian Vet Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Hopeful Vet

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have been researching and I saw a couple of Australian vet schools online that looked interesting...I have a few questions for those of you who have matriculated and/or have more knowledge on these schools:


1) What are the prerequisites to get in? Chemistry/Org Chem/Physics and higher Bio courses? And are most programs 4 years or 5-6?

2) I know the cost of tuition is higher than in the States, but are there any loan forgiveness programs in Australia or ways to decrease the amount of debt? Food Animal Vet crossed my mind because I know they have a loan forgiveness program in certain states in the US, but i don't know if they would accept people who got their degree internationally

3) What are the job prospects for people with an (albeit accredited) international degree? Is it looked down upon?


Thanks!
 
@sunshinevet

Not too many people on here have attended those schools, so you may not get many responses.
The Loan Forgiveness program would apply to you if you go to an AVMA accredited school. As for job prospects of people with international degrees...there are other threads concerning this. It hasn't affected me in the slightest.
 
I have been researching and I saw a couple of Australian vet schools online that looked interesting...I have a few questions for those of you who have matriculated and/or have more knowledge on these schools:


1) What are the prerequisites to get in? Chemistry/Org Chem/Physics and higher Bio courses? And are most programs 4 years or 5-6?

2) I know the cost of tuition is higher than in the States, but are there any loan forgiveness programs in Australia or ways to decrease the amount of debt? Food Animal Vet crossed my mind because I know they have a loan forgiveness program in certain states in the US, but i don't know if they would accept people who got their degree internationally

3) What are the job prospects for people with an (albeit accredited) international degree? Is it looked down upon?


Thanks!

I can answer the third point - there's no real discrimination in the US towards vets who graduated with an international degree from an accredited school. Accredited schools outside of the US are not looked down upon - in fact, many of them are recognized for offering excellent veterinary education.