Accurate Physician Salaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is all fair especially if you are in a shorter training program and not interested in academics.

For me on the other hand...9 of the 10 years will be in training :-/

Elaborate?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
The doximity salary maps are pretty good. Though you have to be a doc to access them I think.

To be honest, they always seem a little inflated to me when I check them. I mean, I'd be happy to earn what they say, but it's 15-20% higher than what I'm commonly seeing in the specialties I know about in areas I'm familiar with. That may be because the doximity map has overall averages and most people I know are closer to early career physicians though.

5 yrs general surgery, 2 yrs postdoctoral research fellowship, 2 years clinical fellowship

wow! honorary clap from the "other kind of surgeon"

picard_clapping.gif

wish the best of luck to your endeavors.

so would I but someone that pays 300k to earn 40k a year is an idiot to the nth level

Unfortunately that's the reality for some people, not most, but some. My fiancee got massive scholarships to some great schools which would have run around 200k total if she paid in full. She still had around 35k in debt coming out, but her field is so oversaturated by people with a ton of experience looking for jobs, she had to settle for a position making under 30k (average pay for her position is 58k in our area) after searching for 4 months.

Plus, most high school kids don't know what the reality of the job market is when they first enter those great schools that charge 50k+ in tuition, and it's not uncommon for their parents to not know either. It's sad how misinformed some people are, but unfortunately that 20/20 hindsight doesn't kick in until they're screwed.

I don't see that public service loan forgiveness program being around much longer, I myself am definitely not counting on it paying off any of my debt.

Do you have any reason why you are saying this, or is it just pessimism in the "the public service loan forgiveness is too good to be true" thing.

Do you have any reason why you are saying this, or is it just pessimism in the "the public service loan forgiveness is too good to be true" thing.
I'd say that's a perfectly good reason

I'd say that's a perfectly good reason

The whole point of it was to increase the amount of physicians that do public service, and from what I understand it makes sense. The only way I can see them changing it is maybe they won't include residency as part of the time you need to work to pay off the loans.

The whole point of it was to increase the amount of physicians that do public service, and from what I understand it makes sense. The only way I can see them changing it is maybe they won't include residency as part of the time you need to work to pay off the loans.

working at a 501c =!= doing public service

Check google, I think they have at least most anesthesiologists banking at around $3 million and primary care at $1 million. Basically, you will find in all Google searches that doctors are rich. Next step: go to the anesthesiology thread on sdn and feel bad for them because there are dozens of threads that express that their salaries are hugely over reported.

You should read the news more often.

Reactions: 1 user