ACGME accredited fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

afozengaron

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a foreign ENT resident interested in otology fellowship in the US. It seems like most fellowship programs are acgme accredited, as opposed to other sub-specialities like h&n and rhinology which have a fair amount of none accredited programs...
So my question is:
- Does acgme accredited fellowships only take graduates from acgme accredited residencies?
- If so, does that mean they take US residents only? I guess only US residencies have acgme accreditation

On another note, I can get a green card since my SO is American, not sure how much that would help me to get into fellowship in the US.
Thanks in advance :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a foreign ENT resident interested in otology fellowship in the US. It seems like most fellowship programs are acgme accredited, as opposed to other sub-specialities like h&n and rhinology which have a fair amount of none accredited programs...
So my question is:
- Does acgme accredited fellowships only take graduates from acgme accredited residencies?
- If so, does that mean they take US residents only? I guess only US residencies have acgme accreditation

On another note, I can get a green card since my SO is American, not sure how much that would help me to get into fellowship in the US.
Thanks in advance :thumbup:

There are non-ACGME accredited otology fellowships, usually 1 year and focusing on chronic ear disease rather than neurotology/skull base (for example Dornhoffer fellowship in Arkansas). I would look into these.

ACGME accredited fellowships require:
"All required clinical education for entry into ACGME-accredited fellowship programs must be completed in an ACGME-accredited residency program, an AOA-approved residency program, a program with ACGME International (ACGME-I) Advanced Specialty Accreditation, or a Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (RCPSC)-accredited or College of Family Physicians of Canada (CFPC)-accredited residency program located in Canada."

Is there a considerable number of non accredited programs doing skull base?? Im sure such programs exist, I just wonder if being a foreign resident pretty much keeps you out of skull base training in the US, statistically speaking...

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a considerable number of non accredited programs doing skull base?? Im sure such programs exist, I just wonder if being a foreign resident pretty much keeps you out of skull base training in the US, statistically speaking...

I'm not sure of many non-ACGME places doing a lot of skull base. Unfortunately it's a very competitive area for fellowship training, even for US residents.

Definitely not "considerable". But a few. I know Doug Backous' fellowship (seattle) does some. Best to reach out to the fellowships directly and ask what their volume is and whether they would consider you.

If you had to rank subspecialties according to availability for foreign residents how would you rank them??
Not sure my question has much relevance since Im pretty much dead set on otology, Im just curious...