ACGME core competencies - what do they mean?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stillorgan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here they are. Most of them are fairly self-evident. But what do numbers 3 and 6 mean?

The six ACGME core competencies:
1. Patient care (clinical and technical skills, as well as judgement)
2. Medical knowledge
3. Practice-based learning and improvement
4. Interpersonal and communication skills
5. Professionalism
6. Systems-based practice.

Members don't see this ad.

#3 refers to using your clinical experience to understand your knowledge and practice deficiencies and then correct them. The traditional method is to "M&M", but it's somewhat wider than that.

#6 refers to understanding the entire medical system in providing care and maximizing its efficiency while minimizing costs. An example would be to minimize costs by not ordering labwork and imaging in a "classic appendicitis" vs. minimizing the risk of misdiagnosis that could have been prevented with a cheap urinanalysis and an expensive image (CAT scan).

Much, much more available at the ACGME website www.acgme.org

Stillorgan said:
So here they are. Most of them are fairly self-evident. But what do numbers 3 and 6 mean?

The six ACGME core competencies:
1. Patient care (clinical and technical skills, as well as judgement)
2. Medical knowledge
3. Practice-based learning and improvement
4. Interpersonal and communication skills
5. Professionalism
6. Systems-based practice.

They mean nothing. Just an exercise in beauracratic duck-speak, an excuse to keep useless people on the payroll measuring things like synergy and metrics. It's more of that "thinking outside the box" psycho-babble that has turned what used to be common sense into a rigidly defined, inflexible zealotry of compassion.

All six of the criteria are things that you will never think about and will accomplish merely by being professional, keeping your eyes and ears open, and doing yer' friggin' job. The obvious downside of these criteria is that now that these things have been defined they have to be measured which involves, at Duke anyways, endless rounds of evaluation forms, meetings, group discussions, and communal emotional masturbation.

The time we spend fu(king with all of that crap seriously detracts from our medical education.

Sorry.

So sorry. You cannot teach interpersonal skills to adults. You are either a jerk or you are not. Most people, including physicians, are decent people and have no trouble being compassionate.

Item number 4 is code for making sure that every physician is a totally bland, inoffensive, non-judgemental, Epathbot V 1.0.

Trust me on this. Eccentricity is not tolerated in the slightest.

Panda Bear said:
Item number 4 is code for making sure that every physician is a totally bland, inoffensive, non-judgemental, Epathbot V 1.0.

Trust me on this. Eccentricity is not tolerated in the slightest.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Oh No, what will I do when they discover mine?!

if you guys make note of these core competencies, especially saying which of the 6 you might need some work in , and which ones you think you are strong in, PDs will kiss you all over. the ones that i came across, and i was talking to them about the core competencies,they were really impressed. just my 2 cents

gallant2m said:
if you guys make note of these core competencies, especially saying which of the 6 you might need some work in , and which ones you think you are strong in, PDs will kiss you all over. the ones that i came across, and i was talking to them about the core competencies,they were really impressed. just my 2 cents

True. Beauracrats love that kind of psycho-spew.