acgme: institutions with an unfavorable status...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ASA HOUSE MD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
...and why is Beth Israel and Jackson Memorial on it? Is the next step probation???

http://www.acgme.org/adspublic/

Then go to Unfavorable Decisions icon.

Members don't see this ad.

they're fully accreditted according to the acgme website. where'd you get that info???

Thrilled to see my home program is still on probation. They list the next review date as 8/04, so I wonder how it turned out. I was surprised by the # of OB/GYN programs on probation, and by the # of programs at prestigious hospitals (Ortho at Stanford, e.g.) on the list.

Members don't see this ad :)
as long as the actual program (i.e. anesthesia) is acgme accredited, who cares if the institution is at unfavorable. look at the sample list of institutional citations, they are all not very important to me - they probably didn't set up some useless committee or have in writing some policy like moonlighting, etc....now if the anesthesia program itself is on probation, that's a major problem...beth israel the institution got reviewed again 1/05 as well.

lakerjock said:
as long as the actual program (i.e. anesthesia) is acgme accredited, who cares if the institution is at unfavorable. look at the sample list of institutional citations, they are all not very important to me - they probably didn't set up some useless committee or have in writing some policy like moonlighting, etc....now if the anesthesia program itself is on probation, that's a major problem...beth israel the institution got reviewed again 1/05 as well.

What do you mean by the list of institutional citations? Are these posted somewhere for individual programs?

xampower said:
What do you mean by the list of institutional citations? Are these posted somewhere for individual programs?

no, but there's a list of the most common citations issued to institutions on the web site for all institutions as a whole....doesn't pique my interest as long as the actual program (anesthesia residency) isn't on probation.

ASA HOUSE said:
...and why is Beth Israel and Jackson Memorial on it? Is the next step probation???

http://www.acgme.org/adspublic/

Then go to Unfavorable Decisions icon.

Well, I can speak to the the Jackson Memorial issue, and assure you that this has nothing to do with RRC accreditation of their anesthesia program. During our interview, they actually handed out a letter dated November 22, 2004, which they were required to do by the ACGME, that was addressed to all residents and resident applicants. It summarized the issues the ACGME had with the institution, and not the gas program (in fact, I have it in front of me right now). I'll requote the pertinent part of the letter for you here:

"A recent review of the Institution identified several areas of concern that require immediate action to come into compliance with the ACGME Institutional requirements. These include zero tolerance for violation of the 80-hour work week, timely mid-cycle internal reviews of all residency programs, full participation of residents in the Graduate Medical Education Committee activities, and written evaluations of all residents, among others. This review has resulted in the Insitution receiving an 'unfavorable decision' by the ACGME. This determination does not affect the approved programs that you either participate in or have applied to, but it does prevent Jackson Health System/Jackson Memorial Hospital from applying for any new programs until this has been resolved."

Make of that what you will. For some people, this may be a bellwether of bad things continuing at the Institutional level. Personally, this leads me to the conclusion that this is likely not the best healthcare system to train in, despite the fact that it isn't necessarily reflective of the anesthesiology program specifically... kind of underscores, in my opinion, some major problems the entire GME program is having in doing right by its residents.

Whatever spin Dr. Candiotti tries to put on it, the gas program is a subset of the larger institution. Whether or not they truly value their residents in the anesthesiology department, this says to me that you're not going to get a nice, warm shoulder to cry on in the bigger administration if you have a problem that can't be resolved within the department.

So, caveat emptor (a.k.a., buyer beware) if you're going to rank this program. Now you can't say you haven't been forewarned.

-Skip