ACGME merger

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

princehairy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello everyone,
I was reading about the AOA/ACGME merger and I was wondering if this merger is going to be in favor of or against the odds of matching for DO students because I couldn't make up my mind on that, could someone shed light on this subject?
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

There are so many threads on this already.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
..... how many DO programs do you think there are in the country?

Sent from my SM-G935V using SDN mobile

Learn to use the search function. None of them are outdated. If you have questions about a specific article you read then post a link.

You have a better chance of predicting who will win the 2020 presidential election.

hello everyone,
I was reading about the AOA/ACGME merger and I was wondering if this merger is going to be in favor of or against the odds of matching for DO students because I couldn't make up my mind on that, could someone shed light on this subject?
thanks

Just plan for the worst and become as competitive as you can. No sense in worrying about the inevitable, especially when it's shrouded in such mystery.

Reactions: 4 users
In theory, it benefits everyone.
It definitely benefits MDs, as they will have more residencies available to them. In theory it benefits DOs*, but most places will still insist on USMLE, etc.

I think the major complaints will come from the deeply-entrenched DO purists

*One major benefit - DOs won't have to choose to do ACGME or AOA match, as the match will be combined instead of AOA in Feb and ACGME in Mar (It was a sneaky way to retain all the DO grads within the system anyways)

I need a clarification, those starting their DO degree fall 2017 *technically* don't need to take both COMPLEX and USMLE as the merger will be "finished" by 2020?

I need a clarification, those starting their DO degree fall 2017 *technically* don't need to take both COMPLEX and USMLE as the merger will be "finished" by 2020?

If you attend a DO school, you will be required to take the COMLEX to graduate. You won't have to technically take the USMLE, but you might as well to keep all doors open when you apply for residency.

Reactions: 2 users
If you attend a DO school, you will be required to take the COMLEX to graduate. You won't have to technically take the USMLE, but you might as well to keep all doors open when you apply for residency.

Oh right I forgot about graduation reqs.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

In theory, it benefits everyone.
*One major benefit - DOs won't have to choose to do ACGME or AOA match, as the match will be combined instead of AOA in Feb and ACGME in Mar (It was a sneaky way to retain all the DO grads within the system anyways)

THIS!

By far and away, this is the most important benefit to DO's in my opinion. There are so many times where candidates prefer a few programs in the ACGME match, but didn't get more than 10 ACGME interviews, so they do the AOA match instead and match at a place they otherwise would not have ranked above several other programs in the ACGME match. In two years, you'll rank all your programs in one list in one match, and the students won't have to play this silly game of trying to guess which match they should do.