digdig

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2006
Status
  1. Pre-Dental
If you make a .5L solution containing .5 mol of KCL, what is the molarity of the solution?

A. 0.1 M
B. 0.2 M
C. 1 M
D. 2 M
E. 10M

Answer is 1 M. but i picked 2 M because of the dissociation of KCL. Can anyone tell me when we consider this. I know we take into account in boiling point and freezing point depression. but i thought it should apply here also. 0.5 mol of KCL would mean .5 mole K and .5 mole Cl. so total of 1 mole. so 1mole/.5L = 2M !!!!
this is frustrating. any help would be greatly appreciated.

KTDMD

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2006
Status
  1. Pre-Dental
digdig said:
If you make a .5L solution containing .5 mol of KCL, what is the molarity of the solution?

A. 0.1 M
B. 0.2 M
C. 1 M
D. 2 M
E. 10M

Answer is 1 M. but i picked 2 M because of the dissociation of KCL. Can anyone tell me when we consider this. I know we take into account in boiling point and freezing point depression. but i thought it should apply here also. 0.5 mol of KCL would mean .5 mole K and .5 mole Cl. so total of 1 mole. so 1mole/.5L = 2M !!!!
this is frustrating. any help would be greatly appreciated.

I guess you're confused here with molarity vs molality. Try revert to your basic understanding on these two and you should find out the answer for yourself easily.

bluesdeluxe

10+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2006
Status
Here is how I thought of it initially and got it right

Molarity is defined as moles of solute over 1 L solution. Since you have .5 L or solution you simply multiply .5/.5 by 2 and get 1/1 = 1 M. Can't ask for an easier question on the dat

About the Ads

digdig

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2006
Status
  1. Pre-Dental
so we do not consider dissociation of KCl to give a total of 1 mol of solutes??

KTDMD

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2006
Status
  1. Pre-Dental
digdig said:
so we do not consider dissociation of KCl to give a total of 1 mol of solutes??

Definitely not. This belongs to colligative properties of molality, where as the question here deals with concentration (molarity). They are practically two different chemistry terms/concepts.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads