Achieving state residency as a pharmacy student

Started by newslang
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

newslang

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm interested in hearing personal experiences about achieving state residency after the first year of pharmacy school. I'm especially interested in SUNY (University of Buffalo) but welcome anecdotes about any school. What was the process for achieving state residency? Did you have to sign an agreement saying you would work in the state for a certain number of years? Were you able to achieve residency on your first try or did it take multiple years?
 
My father said he took a year off before law school to establish residency in California.

A pharmacist that I work with said he had to pay out of state tuition going to Univ. of Kentucky for all four years, even though he bought a house there.

Both of these people are over 50 years old though so the system may have changed.

I look forward to reading responses on this!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It depends on the institution and how hard they'll play. Out-of-state = more money for the university, they're not going to let that go without a fight.

Even the typical "year and a day" statute may not be enough. I had a friend willing to marry someone to get $20k/yr knocked off their tuition. Again, no easy answer here...it depends on the school.

WVU I'm really surprised they didn't give the wife in-state tuition. I know at many schools, they explicitly state that a marriage would result in automatic residency if the spouse is an established resident.
 
I interviewed at Buffalo last year, and one of the students was saying it was possible to get in-state after a year. Some requirements were changing your drivers license and registering your car. I can't remember exactly but something like paying rent or electricity. You should contact their financial aid office to get a complete answer, since things change.