Acid/base definitions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mirracle4

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering why Br-, CN-, and Cl- are considered Lewis bases but not Bronsted-Lowry bases? I would think that each of these species could accept a hydrogen ion (to become HBr, HCN, and HCl), so then why are they not considered Bronsted-Lowry bases? Thanks in advanced.

Members don't see this ad.

That's what I thought, but not according to practice problems on a website that I found (I'm new on here so it won't let me post links, but if you search for the following on Google and go down to the first PDF that pops up (should be the third result from the top), you'll see what I mean)...

laude.cm.utexas edu courses ch301 worksheet ws9key

Do you think that this site is wrong? Or is it that HBr, HCl, and HCN are strong acids and so their conjugate bases (Br-, Cl-, and CN-) won't actually pick up protons and thus are not Bronsted-Lowry bases? I just want to be sure.

where did you read they aren't?

I'm new on here so it won't let me post links, but if you search for the following on Google and go down to the first PDF that pops up (should be the third result from the top), you'll see what I mean...

laude.cm.utexas edu courses ch301 worksheet ws9key

Do you think that this site is wrong? Or is it that HBr, HCl, and HCN are strong acids and so their conjugate bases (Br-, Cl-, and CN-) won't actually pick up protons and thus are not Bronsted-Lowry bases? I just want to be sure.

HBr and HCl are strong acids, but HCN is actually a fairly weak acid. I did not look at your link, so I cannot comment.

When it comes to the three definitions for acids and bases, the reality is that acids are notably different but bases are very similar in their behavior. The crux of the difference between the various definitions lies with the solvent.

Arrhenius is used when the solvent is water. Any compound that donates an H+ to water to form H3O+ is acidic and any compound that takes an H+ from water to form OH- is basic. While Br- and Cl- are close to being inert in water, we can still think of them as conjugate bases of their respective acids, so they will make a very small (essentially immeasurable) amount of hydroxide. CN- will make a detectable amount of OH- in water, so it is in fact an Arrhenius base.

The Brønsted-Lowry definition is applicable in any polar solvent, including water, where an acid donates H+ and a base accepts H+. The three aforementioned anions will accept H+ to some degree, making them Brønsted-Lowry bases.

The Lewis definition is applicable in any solvent, and is commonly applied to organic solvents. An acid is a lone pair acceptor and a base is a lone pair donor. A nonpolar species such as BF3 does not agin or lose an H+ , but it can mimic the behavior of H+ in a nonpolar environment, accepting an electron pair (like H+ does in protic solvents).

So to answer the original question of what kind of base Br-, Cl-, and CN- are, the answer is "any kind you want them to be, depending of the solvent you use them in."

Reactions: 1 user