Acid-Base Reaction Help!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Homoochan

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How are these reactions differ from each other?

1. strong acid + strong base

2. Strong acid + weak base

3. weak acid + strong base

4. Weack acid + weak base

If we had ALL of these in a beaker which reaction would preferentially occur? (eg. beaker has strong acid, strong base, weak acid and weak base)

I'm asking this because in extraction strong acid is added in first step to isolate the basic compounds. Then, we add weak base to get rid of the left over strong acid. Why can't we add strong base to get rid of the strong acid?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

How are these reactions differ from each other?

1. strong acid + strong base

2. Strong acid + weak base

3. weak acid + strong base

4. Weack acid + weak base

If we had ALL of these in a beaker which reaction would preferentially occur? (eg. beaker has strong acid, strong base, weak acid and weak base)

I'm asking this because in extraction strong acid is added in first step to isolate the basic compounds. Then, we add weak base to get rid of the left over strong acid. Why can't we add strong base to get rid of the strong acid?

Thanks in advance!
Is this a lab work? I am guessing the reason is to prevent the hydrolysis of salt and water when a strong acid reacts with a strong base. When a solution is neutral that doesn't mean there is no acids or bases left in the solution, it just means that the solution sometimes has an equal amount of acids and bases. A weak base and a strong acid usually do not form water; and therefore, no hydrolysis occurs.