Acidosis causes decreased contractility?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MudPhud20XX

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
FA lists acidosis being one of the causes for decreased contractility, can anyone think of the mech?

Members don't see this ad.

When the pH is <7.1 myocardial responsiveness to catecholamines decreases.

Reactions: 1 users
H/K exchange → hyperkalemia → flaccidity
^I would learn it this way instead. Remember that K+ is a vasodilator.

To answer your question, acidosis is caused by the hyperkalemia. Hyperkalemia causes partial depolarization of the cell membrane which decreases the amount of Ca2+ available for cardiac contractility. If you lower the calcium, you decrease the strength of contractility.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Acidosis can also contribute to reduced contractility by denaturing proteins required for contraction or the reactions involved.

Reactions: 1 user
H/K exchange → hyperkalemia → flaccidity
Basic question, but why would it be hyperkalemia instead of hypokalemia?

I thought it would be hypokalemia: increased acidosis would "kick out" potassium -> causing hypokalemia -> potassium efflux causing weakness/flaccidity

FA lists acidosis being one of the causes for decreased contractility, can anyone think of the mech?
Above poster is correct..denaturing of protein

In addition to decreased contractility, acidosis causes:
hyperkalemia (which was correct by the other poster, still not sure why, maybe because the H/K exchange pump stops, and potassium gets trapped?)
GABA
kussmaul breathing

Hyperkalemia due to H/K pump and the intrinsic nature of acids being proton donors. Sustained acidosis drives the H/K pump in a manner that favors H in, K out.

Reactions: 1 user
Nice point, yeah I made a basic mistake of thinking hyperkalemia referred to the cell, it's the blood that has high potassium.