Acids and Bases Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ieatshrimp24

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is a TPR question from their online material. Who is correct (me or TPR)? I don't know if my logic is right or not.

Q: At what value of H+ in the blood would the conjugate of sodium naproxen be at its lowest concentration?
A) High concentration of H+
B) Low concentration of H+

My answer: sodium naproxen is a weak base, the conjugate of a weak base is a weak acid. The concentration of a weak acid will decrease as the [H+] increases. Therefore, the answer should be A.

TPR's answer: the concentration of a weak acid will increase in an increasingly acidic environment. Therefore, the answer should be B.

Thanks!
 
With extra H+ laying around, more are going to stick to the weak base, turning it into a weak acid.

Or, [H+][A-] <---> [HA], if you increase H+ then le chatalier says the equation will shift to the right.

You do get that these extra H+ are coming from an external source, and not being plucked off of the weak base, right?
 
With extra H+ laying around, more are going to stick to the weak base, turning it into a weak acid.

Or, [H+][A-] <---> [HA], if you increase H+ then le chatalier says the equation will shift to the right.

You do get that these extra H+ are coming from an external source, and not being plucked off of the weak base, right?
I think I was really sleepy last night. I definitely understand why I was wrong on this one. Thanks!