Acids/bases confusion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2thDoc11

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

Cause someone plesse explain all the ways to distinguish between acid and base. As soon as I feel like I have it down I see a problem that I'd and exception. At first I thought anions were based and cations were basic and then vice versa and then it was different with salts/oxides. So if someone could please explain it all to me I'd appreciate it! I also understand the basic definitions of lewis, bronsted ect.

Members don't see this ad.

Being charged may make something tend to be more basic or acidic. Overall, focus on the CARDIO mnemonic for charge, atom, resonance, dipole induction, and orbitals to compare acidity (and my extension also infer basicity). Charge is a very big factor but it is not the only one to consider.

Can you give an example of some exceptions you've encountered?

Being charged may make something tend to be more basic or acidic. Overall, focus on the CARDIO mnemonic for charge, atom, resonance, dipole induction, and orbitals to compare acidity (and my extension also infer basicity). Charge is a very big factor but it is not the only one to consider.

Can you give an example of some exceptions you've encountered?
Is the general idea that if there is a metal in the compound then it'll be basic and if not acidic for salts and oxides?