ACLS Anywhere

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gcs3

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone,

has anyone completed used the "heartcode ACLS anywhere" CD program from the AHA for their ACLS certification? http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=3018426

i am trying to decide if it would be reasonable to complete this program (CD has the core ACLS teaching materials and includes the written exam -- users must subsequently schedule a "skills check" at an acls teaching center) or if i should just wait until the orientation ACLS class.

the reason that this is even an issue is that i am trying to maximize time i can spend with family prior to start of internship (for personal reasons which i won't get into here) -- i figure if i can get the acls training done this spring, that buys me two days in june.

but if it would be foolish to miss out on my program's acls class (e.g. they will spend time with the equipment we actually use) then i would forgo the CD/skills check option...

any comments would be most welcome

cheers

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on your program whether or not they'll actually use the same devices in training that you use in the hospital. If you're going to a multi-hospital program, it's likely that they use different defib units in each hospital anyway so while you may be trained on one of them you'll have to use a different one at the other sites anyway.

Having said that, in every code I've been a part of (and at our hospitals, IM runs all the codes, even if EM or CCM folks show up) the nurses generally know the machines on their units and will have them charged and ready to use before you even get your first Epi in.

The main upside to the in-person training is that you'll be given the chance to observe/participate in/run 2-5 "megacodes" before you have to actually take the test. This can really make the actual test much easier.

It's also a nice time to bond with your co-interns. At least that's what I'm telling myself.