ACLS/BLS mandatory?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredo32

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are ACLS and BLS certifications required for rotations? Apparently, ours expire at the end of January. Do I need to get recertified to continue rotations?

If they are required, are the online courses acceptable? Or do they have to be AHA?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are ACLS and BLS certifications required for rotations? Apparently, ours expire at the end of January. Do I need to get recertified to continue rotations?

If they are required, are the online courses acceptable? Or do they have to be AHA?

School dependent. Our ACLS cert and BLS recert was required to advance to M4, and it was done during our Medicine block. So some got it done in July, some in April. There was an online and a practical component to each though. You will be required to recert both during intern year from my understanding.

It depends on the school and the location of your clerkships. The online classes are usually ok (if they're AHA), but these aren't strictly online. You still must go before an instructor to complete the skills competency stations.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the information:). Some online classes are 100% online, which is nice considering there's really no time to go to real courses during rotations. Hopefully, they won't make us be current in our certification......................... I guess when the holiday break is over, someone will get back to the students with information about this.
I don't mind getting certified during internship because they allow time for that, but trying to fit these classes in now is simply not realistic.

It depends on the hospitals you will be rotating at. Our school makes sure we're ACLS certified until the end of our 4th year. I don't see why the online course wouldn't be adequate though... certification = certification in my opinion but you should ask the hospital you're considering.