1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

ACLS certification for pathology?

Discussion in 'Pathology' started by Ludy, Mar 17, 2004.

1. Ludy

Ludy Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Anybody know if path residents are required to be ACLS-certified?

I was trying to stop worrying about the Match results... but ended up starting to worry about other things :)
    Now I'm just curious. I think GP posted once that his program doesn't require it, but maybe some others do???

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. flighterdoc

flighterdoc Rocket Scientist
    7+ Year Member

What would pathologists need ACLS for? In case you get someone before they're quite ready?

4. yaah

yaah Boring
    Administrator Physician 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Oh ha ha. Another "pathologists love cutting up dead people" joke. Did you know that nearly 99% of all biopsies come from living people? Truth is, I guess some programs might want pathology residents to know ACLS in case they are around during transfusion reactions or pheresis procedures when something goes wrong.

I have to take ACLS as a requirement for graduation this spring (in april). So I guess I might be able to get out of taking it wherever I end up. Regardless, I guess I'll be certified, otherwise I won't even graduate. Curse these unnecessary regulations!

5. Ludy

Ludy Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

It seems like some hospitals just require all their physicians to be ACLS-certified, and they don't make exceptions for any particular group. And, as yaah points out, if pathologists run the apheresis unit in that hospital, it certainly can't hurt to have as some of those patients can be pretty sick.

I looked at several GME websites; some specifically exclude pathologists from the requirement, and others require ACLS for everyone. Guess I'll find out soon enough if I need it or not...