ACLS certification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jacobsjj12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All, I'm starting my PGY1 year next year and I was just informed by my program that I need to obtain ACLS certification before going there. Looking on-line it appears that there are a seemingly infinite number of places that offer certification for varying prices and that some are online while others are classroom based with skills tests. Does it matter which I do/where I get it from? My program has provided next to no information (regarding anything) and whenever I email my coordinator with questions she sends short snippy responses as if I were supposed to know the answer to things (despite having received no information from them).

I'd also appreciate any advice on working with a coordinator like this. Thanks

JJ

Members don't see this ad.

Do an AHA course, your certification will last 2 years. Red Cross is only good for 1 year. No difference in the courses though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi All, I'm starting my PGY1 year next year and I was just informed by my program that I need to obtain ACLS certification before going there. Looking on-line it appears that there are a seemingly infinite number of places that offer certification for varying prices and that some are online while others are classroom based with skills tests. Does it matter which I do/where I get it from? My program has provided next to no information (regarding anything) and whenever I email my coordinator with questions she sends short snippy responses as if I were supposed to know the answer to things (despite having received no information from them).

I'd also appreciate any advice on working with a coordinator like this. Thanks

JJ

Easiest to get it from your med school. I would find it hard to believe that your program wouldnt offer ACLS/BLS stuff during orientation? That's pretty standard. Is this internship or categorical PMR?

Regarding the coordinator, if it's just internship, you may just want to bear it since it's only 1 year. If it's categorical well you may want to see if things improve over the course of the first few months. Also some coordinators are snippy initially but warm up and are very helpful later on, so give it some time.

Some programs won't accept the online AHA course, only full classroom based, so if you aren't sure just find a real class to be safe. Start with your medical school , and local hospital EMS departments usually have classes for staff but will allow outsiders to join for a fee. The AHA website also has a search function for classes by zip code.

Easiest to get it from your med school. I would find it hard to believe that your program wouldnt offer ACLS/BLS stuff during orientation? That's pretty standard. Is this internship or categorical PMR?

Regarding the coordinator, if it's just internship, you may just want to bear it since it's only 1 year. If it's categorical well you may want to see if things improve over the course of the first few months. Also some coordinators are snippy initially but warm up and are very helpful later on, so give it some time.

Thanks. Yeah this will be a categorical slot. Perhaps the coordinator will be better in person. I am just stressed about the huge transition that is coming in my life (moving/actually mattering in patient care/potentially being dangerous if I mess up) and I feel like I'm in the dark as I've received next to no information from my coordinator. I had to email last week to even find out what my start date was and when I would have vacation. I still don't have my schedule. I never got any information regarding ACLS/BLS requirements. I have no idea if there are any other things that I need to do before I start and when I get single word responses to queries about things it just puts that anxiety into overdrive.

Edit: I don't know if they offer it or not. One of my friends who is going to be starting at the same facillity has ACLS incorporated into her orientation. But I don't even know if I have an orientation and the 1 word response I got to my question about ACLS left a lot to be desired.

Thanks. Yeah this will be a categorical slot. Perhaps the coordinator will be better in person. I am just stressed about the huge transition that is coming in my life (moving/actually mattering in patient care/potentially being dangerous if I mess up) and I feel like I'm in the dark as I've received next to no information from my coordinator. I had to email last week to even find out what my start date was and when I would have vacation. I still don't have my schedule. I never got any information regarding ACLS/BLS requirements. I have no idea if there are any other things that I need to do before I start and when I get single word responses to queries about things it just puts that anxiety into overdrive.

Edit: I don't know if they offer it or not. One of my friends who is going to be starting at the same facillity has ACLS incorporated into her orientation. But I don't even know if I have an orientation and the 1 word response I got to my question about ACLS left a lot to be desired.

Which program if I can ask?

Don't worry about being an intern until Day 1, and then you just need scrubs, an overnight kit, and money for the vending machines. Trust me, it's a ****show no matter what you try to do to prepare! I didn't get my schedule until I arrived onsite for orientation on day 1. Your vacation will be likely planned around your rotation schedule so no sense asking about one until you have the other.

Don't worry about being an intern until Day 1, and then you just need scrubs, an overnight kit, and money for the vending machines. Trust me, it's a ****show no matter what you try to do to prepare! I didn't get my schedule until I arrived onsite for orientation on day 1. Your vacation will be likely planned around your rotation schedule so no sense asking about one until you have the other.

I am not sure that's accurate. At most programs, vacation is done as much as possible per residents' requests. We have already gotten our schedules, vacation requests, and most of the residents have all their paperwork completed and finalized. Some programs are a bit more disorganized sure, but the vast majority of them do send schedules and vacation requests prior to starting.

Well since I already completed my internship I can assure you it was accurate. Don't stress out the OP.

At most programs, vacation is done as much as possible per residents' requests.

Ha Ha Seriously, stop messing around with the OP.

Well since I already completed my internship I can assure you it was accurate. Don't stress out the OP.

At most programs, vacation is done as much as possible per residents' requests.

Ha Ha Seriously, stop messing around with the OP.

I don't know what you are talking about, and I have also completed my internship, so not sure what your point is.