Acls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swcjack

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am starting residency in June, but my ACLS will expire before I start. Do I need to pay the $$ and recertify at my medical school, or can I assume that my new program will provide the training (is it even necessary for peds becaue they have PALS)? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I am starting residency in June, but my ACLS will expire before I start. Do I need to pay the $$ and recertify at my medical school, or can I assume that my new program will provide the training (is it even necessary for peds becaue they have PALS)? thanks

it's unlikely that your program will provide ACLS recertification (though you never know--ask your program). it may not even be worth it to recertify (as long as you're not med-peds), because you will get PALS and NRP certified in residency and presumably you'll only be working with kids. having said that, I can think of a couple reasons why you might want to keep your ACLS certification current (recertifying either now or after you start residency):
1) you find ACLS interesting and want to keep your certification current
2) you plan to do a fellowship in peds EM (for which you'll likely need to get ACLS certified--this is the case at my program). this may also be true for PICU fellowships and maybe others as well, though I'm not sure.
in any case, if you do want to recertify in ACLS after starting residency but your residency program doesn't cover the cost of the class, you can probably use CME funds to pay for it.

Definitely check with you rprogram - I know that some of hte places I interviewed mentioned needing ACLS because the hospitals you rotated through required them...IIRC this was the case at Wake Forest as one example.