ACMS Mohs fellowships ending?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

servitup

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of the Mohs surgeons here made mention that the ACMS has decided that after this year, they will no longer be in the business of doing fellowship accreditation. I can't find anything about this on their website so I am wondering if anyone here is aware of this change. Are they simply electing to let ACGME take over with the procedural derm fellowships?

Members don't see this ad.

One of the Mohs surgeons here made mention that the ACMS has decided that after this year, they will no longer be in the business of doing fellowship accreditation. I can't find anything about this on their website so I am wondering if anyone here is aware of this change. Are they simply electing to let ACGME take over with the procedural derm fellowships?

You are correct. This again is just word or mouth, I have not seen it in writing, but my understanding is that the ACGME will take over in 2011 or 2012. I think ulimately it will not be a bad thing as it will require the fellows to have alittle more diverse training in areas other than just Mohs. This is where the "procedural fellowship" comes in. I was told that they would require exposure to lasers, and more cosmetic procedures such as botox, fillers, and lipo.

I wonder how the college will determine eligibility for membership now.

I wonder how the college will determine eligibility for membership now.

It will still require a formal additional PGY year of training for membership in the college. The majority of the newly minted procedural derm fellowships were just designation changes of former MMS fellowships anyway, so not a lot changed in the practical sense. The formalization of training requirements, etc, was (most likely) driven primarily by a desire for ABMS recognition, which did not happen thanks in no small part to our glorious AAD. Individuals who completed the procedural fellowship have always been eligible for Mohs college membership; it was granted deemed equivalence from the outset.