ACOG resident survey

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RisingSun

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else recently contacted by the ACOG by email and asked to complete a survey to garner resident (in my case medical student) opinions on tracking within an OB/Gyn residency?

For those that don't know what this is about, the idea is that you would match into a two-year traditional OB/Gyn residency out of medical school, then have a number of different options afterward that you would need to match into separately, including finishing up with two years of OB/Gyn, one year of ambulatory womens health, one year of OB followed immediately by 3 years of MFM, one year of Gyn followed immediately by 3 years of Gyn Onc, and a year of OB and Gyn followed immediately by three years of REI. There may have been more options, but I forget now. The idea is that you can fast-track to fellowships after 2nd year (plus one more year of OB, Gyn, or both), thereby saving one training year in order to become fellowship trained.

I personally think that this is a good idea, but it seems like this might place lots of stress on second year residents in that they have to go through a second match, probably won't have had time in their first two years to do any (meaningful) research that might benefit them if applying to competitive programs or sub-specialties like Gyn Onc, for example, and requires second year students to choose their future in OB/Gyn at an early stage in their career.

Any opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's a great idea. There is already, a very high opportunity cost to being a fellowship-trained doctor, and ob/gyn can have some of the longest paths (gyn onc can be 8 years!)

gen surg has already caught onto this by introducing abbreviated direct-match vascular programs

I got that survey too and I like the idea right now as I am currently interested in MFM.

After this type of training would the physician still be double boarded? It would seem a little strange with MFM if you lose a year of the general ob/gyn residency and would not be as well trained in gynecology. But of course, I wonder how many perinatologists are very comfortable with their general gyn skills after doing MFM for many years anyway.

I wonder how far off something along these lines is? If anyone is in the know, are these changes being seriously considered at the higher level, and if so, when might they take effect?