ACOM vs. CCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

user54321

Reaction score
Alabama college of osteopathic medicine
Pros
  • Cheaper tuition than CCOM
  • Affiliated with Southeast health
  • DO/MBA program that would not take more than 4 years
  • Cheaper cost of living

Cons
  • Far far away from home
  • Most people tend to match in the south
  • Newer institution

Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine-Midwestern University
Pros
  • Established institution
  • Impressive match list
  • More likely to match in the midwest (where I am from)
  • Rotations all over the chicagoland area, can do audition rotations back home in wisconsin
  • Closer to family

Cons
  • $24,000 more expensive per year than ACOM
  • No DO/MBA program
Any advice is appreciated, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Take the cheaper school. ACOM is established, CCOM is not really worth the extra 100k (and the total cost of their school is over 400k from what I last remember).

Leaning CCOM. Chicago has the potential to provide limitless research opportunities if you’re willing to reach out to docs and faculty in other medical institutions in Chicago like pritzker or feinberg. Chicago also seems like a more fun place to be than Dothan if that’s something you care about, especially if you have a support system and community nearby.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also heard a lot of people do a part time MBA during residency for a relatively low cost if that’s something that you still care to do after graduating.

Interest rates are 7% this year and will likely stay at that level for a while. If you choose ccom, you are easily looking at 600k and above when all is said and done.

Reactions: 1 users
The updated cost of attendance at CCOM is about 500k now (without accounting for interest since that will be active again for students in the fall). It has gotten worse than what I was remembering.

The updated cost of attendance at CCOM is about 500k now (without accounting for interest since that will be active again for students in the fall). It has gotten worse than what I was remembering.

That's basically a 3 bedroom house in Houston

The difference in your education and opportunities are not outweighed by the cost difference, IMO.