ACOM VS PCOM-GA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Noxy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have seen this posted elsewhere last year but it didn't really address what I was looking for! I am really torn on these two schools for two totally different reasons.

ACOM
- I loved the faculty at ACOM and I really felt that everyone was there to help me succeed and the rotations seemed solid.
- Awesome building
- Everyone there, students and faculty, smiled at me and wished me good luck. (small reason but nice anyway)
- Town wasn't too small, but a concern of mine is racism in the middle of Alabama, my husband looks middle eastern and we sure as hell got nasty looks when we were there.
- Cheaper cost of living/tuition
- Not so great elementary schools for my kiddos

PCOM-GA
- It was like the complete opposite.. I only got to meet a few faculty who seemed nice but the current students around the campus were literally rolling their eyes at us interviewee's and giving us some major stink eye. Professionalism is obviously lacking here.
- I didn't really get a tour, they showed us the anatomy lab and moved us to a holding room for interviews.
- The town was obviously much bigger and had more things to do for my family.
- The elementary schools are better around here
- More expensive to live/tuition

I am sure there may be other pro-cons and I am asking for opinions!! I am not sure I really care about attendance as I know that some will add that..I have a two year old at home and there is no way I would ever stay home and study with that racket going on, because that sounds worse than going to class. I want to know about quality of education and prep. I also want to be happy with my choice and not miserable for years. I honestly walked out of PCOM-GA feeling like those students I saw were miserable. (But dont get me wrong im not bashing the school at all and I am very interested in attending, im trying to see if maybe I visited on an off day.) I get that med school kind of sucks no matter where you go, but I wish I could just get more information before dropping a ton of money, so that's why I am asking a ton of strangers on the internet. Thanks guys :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
A big pro for PCOM is that people know it is a good DO school. I know the GA campus is newer, but the PCOM name is out there.

Do you want to live in the tight-knit Dothan, or near the highly active/populated Atlanta, GA? As a parent, I have no idea what you'd want to do. I'm a younger single dude so Atlanta sounds fun to me.

Other than that, your pros/cons list seems heavily weighted towards ACOM to me.

Reactions: 1 users
You should definitely pay attention to mandatory attendance. I've said this numerous times, not having mandatory lectures may be one of the top 3 most important things for a med school (in my restrospective opinion). It allows you to go at your pace, get work done, and not waste time in lectures/waking up early.

In regards to ACOM, I loved it there. I had already placed my deposit but fortunately got accepted into my state school. I'm middle eastern, although I may not look it, but I didn't experience any kind of racism in my few days there. I did greet people by my name and didn't really get any weird looks. With that in mind, anywhere you go is going to have racist hillbillies out in the boonies. Stay close to larger cities where people are more diverse and educated and you should always be fine.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think the problem is that I didn't get to learn anything about PCOM-GA when I was there and ACOM made sure everything was laid out on the table. I feel like I like the school better at ACOM and the town better surrounding PCOM-GA.

You should definitely pay attention to mandatory attendance. I've said this numerous times, not having mandatory lectures may be one of the top 3 most important things for a med school (in my restrospective opinion). It allows you to go at your pace, get work done, and not waste time in lectures/waking up early.

In regards to ACOM, I loved it there. I had already placed my deposit but fortunately got accepted into my state school. I'm middle eastern, although I may not look it, but I didn't experience any kind of racism in my few days there. I did greet people by my name and didn't really get any weird looks. With that in mind, anywhere you go is going to have racist hillbillies out in the boonies. Stay close to larger cities where people are more diverse and educated and you should always be fine.

I have seen you post this before I believe, I just wonder how this applies towards parents. I literally cannot be in my house to study with a two year old and have to wake up to get my kids to school anyway. I will be up regardless and sleeping in is just a thing of the past haha. There is no studying/ listening to lectures in my jammies here lol! I guess that gives me freedom to..study at a library? I don't know if that would be a deal breaker for me as much as it would for a single student. If I was in a different situation I would completely understand this, however I would be getting out of this zoo of a house every day to concentrate :laugh:. I guess maybe I could see if my kids are sick how attendance policy's could be a pain in the ass, but it's good seeing someone's opinion who has already been there so thank you!

Last edited:
Hey @Noxy
I know that you and I both interviewed at PCOM-GA on the same day. However, I had quite the opposite reaction to the school.
All of the students that I met while I was waiting to interview (and it was a while because I was in the last group) were extremely helpful and glad to answer any questions that we had. I felt that the community was there and strong. Also, whenever I had my interview, that is one of the first things that my interviewer mentioned.
The faculty is fairly small, but as far as I could tell, they all seemed very close and truly want the students there to succeed.

While I agree that we did not get too much of a tour, I thought the building itself is beautiful and am glad that everything is all in one place.
Like someone already said, the PCOM name will definitely help later on I feel.

I do not know anything about ACOM or what it is like to have children and be going through this process, but I felt that you should know my opinion, especially since we were there the same day!

Hey @Noxy
I know that you and I both interviewed at PCOM-GA on the same day. However, I had quite the opposite reaction to the school.
All of the students that I met while I was waiting to interview (and it was a while because I was in the last group) were extremely helpful and glad to answer any questions that we had. I felt that the community was there and strong. Also, whenever I had my interview, that is one of the first things that my interviewer mentioned.
The faculty is fairly small, but as far as I could tell, they all seemed very close and truly want the students there to succeed.

While I agree that we did not get too much of a tour, I thought the building itself is beautiful and am glad that everything is all in one place.
Like someone already said, the PCOM name will definitely help later on I feel.

I do not know anything about ACOM or what it is like to have children and be going through this process, but I felt that you should know my opinion, especially since we were there the same day!

Hey!! Yes you were TOTALLY that person in my group its official lol!! I was the first one to interview in our group if im not mistaken! And don't get me wrong I AM NOT HATING on PCOM-GA or the faculty I just felt really out of the loop. We didn't really get any information at the interview! We talked to the anatomy teacher who was awesome, but that was it. And maybe I missed some of the student interactions because I was the first to interview and didn't have time to talk to any of them. But the students in the library and in the hallway were giving us all some shade and many of the interviewers agreed, it was not the ones talking with us/eating with us. I just wish I could find more info on rotations, or clubs for families, or any info for PCOM-GA! I asked in my interview but he didn't know any of that info.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey!! Yes you were TOTALLY that person in my group its official lol!! I was the first one to interview in our group if im not mistaken! And don't get me wrong I AM NOT HATING on PCOM-GA or the faculty I just felt really out of the loop. We didn't really get any information at the interview! We talked to the anatomy teacher who was awesome, but that was it. And maybe I missed some of the student interactions because I was the first to interview and didn't have time to talk to any of them. But the students in the library and in the hallway were giving us all some shade and many of the interviewers agreed, it was not the ones talking with us/eating with us. I just wish I could find more info on rotations, or clubs for families, or any info for PCOM-GA! I asked in my interview but he didn't know any of that info.

hmm, I think that there was only one woman in my group and she had gone through the Biomedical Masters Program, so maybe not. Interesting that there was someone else from Nashville. haha

But yea I totally understand where you are coming from. By the time I interviewed, there were probably 5 or 6 other students in addition to the mentor that came around to talk with us. They were all very friendly and helpful with any questions that I had. Unfortunately, they did not have much info about rotations because they were 2nd years, but they did mention that the friends they knew in rotations at the time were happy with their experience so far.

hmm, I think that there was only one woman in my group and she had gone through the Biomedical Masters Program, so maybe not. Interesting that there was someone else from Nashville. haha

But yea I totally understand where you are coming from. By the time I interviewed, there were probably 5 or 6 other students in addition to the mentor that came around to talk with us. They were all very friendly and helpful with any questions that I had. Unfortunately, they did not have much info about rotations because they were 2nd years, but they did mention that the friends they knew in rotations at the time were happy with their experience so far.
I actually think I heard there was 3 or so people from Nashville from that one interview, and the tour guide was from there as well! Maybe they have been finding gems from there :) Yeah I think that because I was first I didn't have time to talk with anyone about any questions I had, and then I had to leave shortly after. I wonder if they send out information packets to accepted students. Thanks for your help :)!

I actually think I heard there was 3 or so people from Nashville from that one interview, and the tour guide was from there as well! Maybe they have been finding gems from there :) Yeah I think that because I was first I didn't have time to talk with anyone about any questions I had, and then I had to leave shortly after. I wonder if they send out information packets to accepted students. Thanks for your help :)!
haha wow that is crazy. Does not surprise me! ;)
I really do think that may have been what happened! I am sure if you contacted their office, they could get in contact with somebody or give you that information!
Good luck with your decision!

Hey there, I'm a current 2nd year at ACOM, so I thought I would give you heads up about attendance since I know it can be a big deal. We have an 80% mandatory attendance policy, and it includes lectures from guest speakers and Integrated sessions. Even then you are allowed to miss two mandatory sessions per course. Again its 80% per class, not the whole semester or all classes combined. It really isn't that bad, Its nice to get to school and at least hear the material once before I really get into it. If you need a nice quiet place to study there are plenty of rooms on the third floor.

Your first semester you will be paired up with a "mentor" which is basically a 2nd year who you can ask all your questions to and get helpful advice from. But of course you can ask anyone here and they would be more than willing to talk to you or help you out.

I know Dothan can seem small, but it really has just about everything you would really need. Also, they have some fun little places you can take your family like adventure land and the waterpark here in the summer. We have plenty of shopping and stores here, especially on the north side of town. I have never had to leave Dothan to get anything I have needed that I couldn't get here or through Amazon. Honestly, looking at my experience and my first year of med school being in a bigger place like Atlanta is not a selling point. (i'm from Phoenix so yes i know what living in a big city is like.) You really just don't have time to go out on the town every weekend or whatever people think they are going to do in a city during med school. It is just not realistic.

As far as the school system goes I don't have any experience with that, but also realize you will only be in dothan for your first two years, unless you choose to stay here for your rotations 3rd and 4th year.

Hope that helps, if you have any other questions I would be happy to answer them. If i don't answer right away, I'm not ignoring you we just have our 2nd renal test on Monday.

Reactions: 4 users
I have seen you post this before I believe, I just wonder how this applies towards parents. I literally cannot be in my house to study with a two year old and have to wake up to get my kids to school anyway. I will be up regardless and sleeping in is just a thing of the past haha. There is no studying/ listening to lectures in my jammies here lol! I guess that gives me freedom to..study at a library? I don't know if that would be a deal breaker for me as much as it would for a single student. If I was in a different situation I would completely understand this, however I would be getting out of this zoo of a house every day to concentrate :laugh:. I guess maybe I could see if my kids are sick how attendance policy's could be a pain in the ass, but it's good seeing someone's opinion who has already been there so thank you!

No prob!

Mandatory attendance doesn't take the option of going to class away from you, it just gives you more freedom to figure out your learning style and adjust accordingly to your circumstances. Just make sure you're ready to step into a warzone of material lol, best of luck and congrats on being accepted!

So I have seen this posted elsewhere last year but it didn't really address what I was looking for! I am really torn on these two schools for two totally different reasons.

ACOM
- I loved the faculty at ACOM and I really felt that everyone was there to help me succeed and the rotations seemed solid.
- Awesome building
- Everyone there, students and faculty, smiled at me and wished me good luck. (small reason but nice anyway)
- Town wasn't too small, but a concern of mine is racism in the middle of Alabama, my husband looks middle eastern and we sure as hell got nasty looks when we were there.

PCOM-GA
- It was like the complete opposite.. I only got to meet a few faculty who seemed nice but the current students around the campus were literally rolling their eyes at us interviewee's and giving us some major stink eye. Professionalism is obviously lacking here.
- I didn't really get a tour, they showed us the anatomy lab and moved us to a holding room for interviews.

I am sure there may be other pro-cons and I am asking for opinions!! I am not sure I really care about attendance as I know that some will add that..I have a two year old at home and there is no way I would ever stay home and study with that racket going on, because that sounds worse than going to class. I want to know about quality of education and prep. I also want to be happy with my choice and not miserable for years. I honestly walked out of PCOM-GA feeling like those students I saw were miserable. (But dont get me wrong im not bashing the school at all and I am very interested in attending, im trying to see if maybe I visited on an off day.) I get that med school kind of sucks no matter where you go, but I wish I could just get more information before dropping a ton of money, so that's why I am asking a ton of strangers on the internet. Thanks guys :)

I'm a current 3rd year at GA-PCOM and I love the school! Not sure why you had a bad experience with the students since everyone is generally really friendly, but my guess is you probably interviewed during an exam-heavy week when everyone was stressed out. As for the tour, it's a small campus, so you really didn't miss much.

You should pick a school where you think you'll be happiest for at least 2 years (your last two years will be rotations and you could end up in different locations...I'm currently rotating in the same area and having a great experience). Most of your time will be spent in the classroom or studying, but the perk of GA-PCOM is Atlanta is right down the road and there are a ton of fun things to do to help you de-stress whenever you get a break. I'm also a parent who loves the schools out here, and my child is really happy as well. Hope this helps!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@Noxy I had a similar experience as you did at LECOM-B and GA-PCOM as far as getting weird looks from other students, and having friendly staff and student ambassadors during the tour. I spoke to a LECOM-B student and he said that it was probably just Pharm students. Remember that GA-PCOM also has a pharm, biomed master's , AND PA program so there is a good chance you just came across one of those students who are just haters lol. I too got a great vibe from the students and most importantly the faculty and interviewers . Both of my interviewers were really friendly and encouraging (even the "bad cop" of the two lol). If I get accepted at GA-PCOM, I might drop (with a heavy heart) my acceptance to ACOM. They both have the same positives as far as friendly staff and students, set rotations, but GA-PCOM has more research opportunities, is in a better area (just my opinion), has the flexibility of having barely any required attendence, and is more established . Honestly though, both schools are amazing and I'd feel blessed to go to either. There isn't really a worse or better school, it's really up to you. Hope to see you in the same class come August :) .

Last edited:
PCOM-Ga- optional class attendance, no dress code, better location for you.

Reactions: 2 users
First of all, thank you everyone for your input! Sorry for my silence, I have been working all weekend while being sick as a dog lol. Gotta save for that deposit/ move!! I am very glad and relieved to hear that I most likely just interviewed on an off day. I realize it will most likely just come down to a personal choice/money issues now seeing as I'll likely get a solid education from both. My kids will be happier in GA, its a 100% guarantee but there are always other factors to consider. @DreamingDoc do they increase the cost of living for having kids? I don't have them in daycare/aftercare now, but I will have to when school starts so I am worried about how to pay for it or to prove that I will have these costs in future. Does PCOM-GA take that into account? I found on ACOM's website they allow the increase but PCOM is being tight lipped with me. I tried calling but they told me to wait till next year to discuss financial issues. Thanks again!!

ACOM
- Awesome building

PCOM-GA

I'm a current 1st year DO student at GA-PCOM and first of all, I'm SO sorry/surprised to hear about your negative interview experience! That really is not characteristic at all of our school, actually the complete opposite. One of the best things about this school happens to be the amazing students and overall sense of community (as cheesy as that sounds) on campus, so I'm thinking you must've interviewed on a bad day for whatever students were throwing you shade. That's seriously not the norm. Students and faculty here are all invested in helping everyone succeed so I really hope your impression of the school wasn't too badly tarnished from your interview.

As far as your particular situation, I can't speak for ACOM because I never applied or interviewed there but GA PCOM seems to have worked out quite well for the married students with kids in my class and those above me. Great schools and good area to live in overall. I also don't know anything about ACOM's attendance policy but if it is actually mandatory in any way then I literally couldn't see myself attending there. I don't think I realized before starting med school how important that a school's attendance policy would be but now the idea of having to attend 80 percent of all lectures seems like a crazy joke. There's just no time. The only things that have "required" attendance here are OMM and PCS labs, but to be honest I missed at least 3 labs for both of those classes and was totally fine.

The one major negative about PCOM is the admin though--communication is not their strong suit (I'm not at all surprised that they told you to "call back next year" when you asked about financial advice) and there were a lot of times when it felt like we were having to figure things out on our own, but I think this is a function of the school having a lot of programs/students and not always enough staff. However, this doesn't seem to affect quality of rotations at all, I've spoken with several 3rd and 4th years who've had nothing but positive experiences with clinical rotations.

Feel free to message me with any questions you have about the school, more than happy to help out. Overall I've been very pleased with my experience here so far and would love to share any info that may be helpful to applicants

ACOM
- Awesome building

PCOM-GA

I have a friend who is an OMSIII at PCOM-Ga and they gave me the "ehhhhh" when I asked about the school. They told me the faculty were all great, but the Administration was pretty subpar.

I have seen you post this before I believe, I just wonder how this applies towards parents. I literally cannot be in my house to study with a two year old and have to wake up to get my kids to school anyway. I will be up regardless and sleeping in is just a thing of the past haha. There is no studying/ listening to lectures in my jammies here lol! I guess that gives me freedom to..study at a library? I don't know if that would be a deal breaker for me as much as it would for a single student.

I'm a married non-parent, but I'd think flexibility would be even more valuable with little ones around. The ability to study wherever might not be important to you, but the ability to study whenever could be useful-- you can plan your study schedule around your family schedule more often.

For full disclosure, my preclinical years were mandatory attendance but PBL not lecture. I really liked the flexibility that having most of the week "free" gave me in terms of managing my own studying and life in general.

So the attendance policy is definately more of an issue than I am obviously aware of, seeing as everyone is bringing this up. I am very grateful to have multiple people chime in on this and I will assume that I will understand why everyone mentioned these policies in August when I start! I am begining to think I will likely chose PCOM-GA due to location, attendance policies, and other reasons that will benefit my kids. I will be a doctor either way and Atlanta area has more for my family to do when I am too busy come along. I am very sad though because I think that I really felt at home with ACOM.

Financially, I was wrong in my original post. Overal ACOM total COA is 8k more per year. Does anyone have any idea why in the world acom gives 8k more a year for living in the middle of a peanut field than pcom ga does near Atlanta! Usually saving money is great, but in my situation, 8k more a year for living with two kids on loans would be so helpful. If I choose PCOM-GA which is likely, money will be much tighter. Now im rambling :)

So the attendance policy is definately more of an issue than I am obviously aware of, seeing as everyone is bringing this up. I am very grateful to have multiple people chime in on this and I will assume that I will understand why everyone mentioned these policies in August when I start! I am begining to think I will likely chose PCOM-GA due to location, attendance policies, and other reasons that will benefit my kids. I will be a doctor either way and Atlanta area has more for my family to do when I am too busy come along. I am very sad though because I think that I really felt at home with ACOM.

Financially, I was wrong in my original post. Overal ACOM total COA is 8k more per year. Does anyone have any idea why in the world acom gives 8k more a year for living in the middle of a peanut field than pcom ga does near Atlanta! Usually saving money is great, but in my situation, 8k more a year for living with two kids on loans would be so helpful. If I choose PCOM-GA which is likely, money will be much tighter. Now im rambling :)
It seems to me like you are making the correct decision. PCOM-Ga is a great program. I have a friend there that is an OMSIII and they enjoyed their time there.

I have a friend who is an OMSIII at PCOM-Ga and they gave me the "ehhhhh" when I asked about the school. They told me the faculty were all great, but the Administration was pretty subpar.

It seems to me like you are making the correct decision. PCOM-Ga is a great program. I have a friend there that is an OMSIII and they enjoyed their time there.

Your posts on this thread are confusing. :p Are you for or against GA-PCOM

First of all, thank you everyone for your input! Sorry for my silence, I have been working all weekend while being sick as a dog lol. Gotta save for that deposit/ move!! I am very glad and relieved to hear that I most likely just interviewed on an off day. I realize it will most likely just come down to a personal choice/money issues now seeing as I'll likely get a solid education from both. My kids will be happier in GA, its a 100% guarantee but there are always other factors to consider. @DreamingDoc do they increase the cost of living for having kids? I don't have them in daycare/aftercare now, but I will have to when school starts so I am worried about how to pay for it or to prove that I will have these costs in future. Does PCOM-GA take that into account? I found on ACOM's website they allow the increase but PCOM is being tight lipped with me. I tried calling but they told me to wait till next year to discuss financial issues. Thanks again!!

Yes, they definitely increase the COA for childcare expenses and such. I believe my first 2 years I had to provide a letter from the aftercare program stating the costs, and this year I provided a contract with the cost associated with having a nanny for the full year. You'll definitely need to provide proof (which is why they're probably not telling you much right now), but the process of getting an increase isn't too much of a headache.