ACOM vs Touro Middletown please help me decide.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OsteopathyLover11

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am very grateful to have received acceptance into both of these schools. Would like some input on which one is a better school. I was accepted into ACOM back in the fall and have already put my deposit there. I was already 100% ready to attend ACOM. However, I just got accepted to Touro Middletown this past week. I am from NJ, so Touro Middletown is a little over an hour's drive from me. ACOM is quite far, and I would have to take a plane to get here. I would like to hear some input on both of these schools. I am not sure what specialty of medicine I would like to enter, maybe heme/onc or family medicine. I know heme/onc might be hard as DO.

I have listed some pros below for each.

Pros For Touro Middletown

1. Close to Home
  2. 100% Final Match Rate
  3. Higher Board Scores
Cons for Touro-Middletown

1. Flipped Classroom. I am not too familiar with this, but it seems like a con for me so far. Would need to get more information. It seems like exams are on Monday, while classes/labs take place during the rest of the week. Classes/labs have mandatory, graded clicker questions, so you have to go. I remember reading you spend most of the day in class and then maybe have to go home and watch hours of videos.
  2. During the interview day, they had first-year, first semester students talk to us. I feel like first-year, first-semester students wouldn't have accurate information as they had only been there for barely a semester. Also, the students seemed to give out stressed out vibes to me.
  3. More expensive.
  4. Also, it seemed like there was 1 building for everything. You have classes and lab downstairs and go upstairs to sleep, eat, and study. I feel like this would affect my mental health.
  5. branch campus. Idk if this is a con, but the main campus is Harlem. Wondering if this would affect the resources Middletown gets.
  6. Would have to pay out-of-pocket for resources such as Uworld, sketchy.
  7. During the interview day, they had first-year, first-semester students talk to us. I feel like first-year, first-semester students wouldn't have accurate information as they had only been there for barely a semester. Also, the students seemed to give out stressed-out vibes to me.
Pros for ACOM.

1. Cheaper (about 26k minimum cheaper than Touro)
  2. 99% match list. They said 1 person matched, but chose to do a gap year instead. I guess that is a 100% match.
  3. Have heard they have amazing rotation sites.
  4. Students seemed happier compared to Touro students. At least, the students during my Q&A seemed bright and positive. I guess this could also be just a personality thing.
  5. Free resources such as free laptop, iPad, Uworld, and Sketchy
Cons for ACOM

1. Far from parents.
  2. 60% attendance policy.

I believe both schools are on a grading scale. Would be honoured if @Goro responded. If anyone could give me some input on both of these schools, it would be great. Would love to hear some input from current/former students. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Flipped classroom is a fancy way of saying mandatory attendance and I’ve never spoken to anyone who liked this model. Since you already have 2-3 hours of weekly OMM you’ll be wasting your time on, I would pick the one that doesn’t force you to be in class.