ACOM vs WCU-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sometimes

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone on SDN apply to ACOM and WCU-COM and needed to decide which school was the best choice to pursue their dream of becoming an osteopathic physician in the gulf coast region? Curious to know what factors ultimately made your decision. Thanks in advance! :)

Members don't see this ad.

PM kgpremed11...he can probably hook you up with some valuable insight.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone on SDN apply to ACOM and WCU-COM and needed to decide which school was the best choice to pursue their dream of becoming an osteopathic physician in the gulf coast region? Curious to know what factors ultimately made your decision. Thanks in advance! :)

WCU has been around longer, they probably have things figured out better by now for the preclinical years (I think pass rate for comlex is improving). However, ACOM offers the benefits of having probably better rotations but the the teaching experience of the falculty would be suspect. I would go WCU-COM.

Actually dude, you would be better off asking this to medical students, pre meds don't really know anything. Trust me it matters where you go to school.

Trust him OP. Status: Pre-Medical.

WCU has been around longer, they probably have things figured out better by now for the preclinical years (I think pass rate for comlex is improving). However, ACOM offers the benefits of having probably better rotations but the the teaching experience of the falculty would be suspect. I would go WCU-COM.

During the interview, you meet ACOM's leadership. Everyone I met had not only previous teaching experience, but also recently opened another Osteopathic medical school. Experience that will undoubtedly make it a much easier transition.

And there is this : http://www.acomedu.org/index.php/ne...ker-receives-award-for-educational-innovation

Welcome back, Dean Lenz.

I think the dean of a low tier osteopathic medical school deserves some respect! Here Dr. Lenz, excuse medpr, and to make it up I want to on behalf of the SDN community we present you with a bottle of the finest Florida malt liquor that 5 dollars can buy.

Anyway, im inclined to believe ACOM probably is a better school than WCU.

I've met a couple WCU students, and they kind of hated the day to day life of WCU. Mandatory lectures, and I think they're in class like 8-3 or 4 five days per week and feel this doesn't give them ample time to study outside of class. I think this is being worked on, though. It also seems like they kind of feel there's a tyranny going on with the higher ups. I'll let them field that, though. Don't kill the messenger.

I'm sure some WCU students will chime in here soon. I'm not sure I'd gamble on a entirely new school, though. You're kind of the guinea pig. Only my opinion, though.

I think the dean of a low tier osteopathic medical school deserves some respect! Here Dr. Lenz, excuse medpr, and to make it up I want to on behalf of the SDN community we present you with a bottle of the finest Florida malt liquor that 5 dollars can buy.

Hahahahahahahaha wow dude I just died laughing.

$5? Look at you high roller.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Lol. I'm going to WCUCOM this fall. I didn't apply to ACOM. but honestly, it will be how hard I work, not the school. I'm prepared to busy my a** to succeed.

Members don't see this ad :)
I chose ACOM for the well established clinical rotation sites 1st and foremost.During my interview my concerns about the didactic portion of the curriculum were eased when I heard the presentation on the curriculum and met some of the faculty. The board style exams (systems and discipline based curriculum) and the board styled exam rooms also eased my apprehension as well. The school is heavily invested in us as a first class because as we go they go. I was granted an interview at WCU and after my ACOM interview respectfully declined to attend the interview. Also, something to consider. The deposits for both schools are high but WCU requires a 3000.00 deposit. After all is said and done the decision is personal and my experience may be much different than yours. So, if you interview at both or one or the other you and you alone have to make this decision because its your future.

Also, the conduct of some on this thread is reprehensible and to think some of you will be colleagues one day is disheartening. Grow up and start acting professional now because its apparent you need the practice.

OP which ever school you decide upon the bottom line is your going to be responsible for the experience and the outcome. Good luck to you!

I chose ACOM for the well established clinical rotation sites 1st and foremost.During my interview my concerns about the didactic portion of the curriculum were eased when I heard the presentation on the curriculum and met some of the faculty. The board style exams (systems and discipline based curriculum) and the board styled exam rooms also eased my apprehension as well. The school is heavily invested in us as a first class because as we go they go. I was granted an interview at WCU and after my ACOM interview respectfully declined to attend the interview. Also, something to consider. The deposits for both schools are high but WCU requires a 3000.00 deposit. After all is said and done the decision is personal and my experience may be much different than yours. So, if you interview at both or one or the other you and you alone have to make this decision because its your future.

Also, the conduct of some on this thread is reprehensible and to think some of you will be colleagues one day is disheartening. Grow up and start acting professional now because its apparent you need the practice.

OP which ever school you decide upon the bottom line is your going to be responsible for the experience and the outcome. Good luck to you!

Well said.

This stuff always makes me lol.

I've met a couple WCU students, and they kind of hated the day to day life of WCU. Mandatory lectures, and I think they're in class like 8-3 or 4 five days per week and feel this doesn't give them ample time to study outside of class. I think this is being worked on, though. It also seems like they kind of feel there's a tyranny going on with the higher ups. I'll let them field that, though. Don't kill the messenger.

I'm sure some WCU students will chime in here soon. I'm not sure I'd gamble on a entirely new school, though. You're kind of the guinea pig. Only my opinion, though.

I saw what our first class went though and it was NOT pretty!!! On the flip side, WHEN you survive all the arrows you will still be a part of the first class at ACOM. That is all I will say about ACOM as I know very little about them and am sure they will do fine.

The time in class is an issue for my class but this will be modified.Our current 1st years will have a better 2nd year because of the changes that will be made just as we had it better this year because of what our first class went thru last year. I am not saying there are no issues at WCU but there will be issues of some sort or another anywhere. I am happy with my decision to come to WCU.

IMHO, the longer a school is up and running, the more time it has to correct any"start up" problems.

To the OP:

Good luck on making your decision

Welcome back, Dean Lenz.

50bd01766fcb3.preview-300.jpg

Thup guyth.

The report said the arrest came from an officer responding to a reckless driving report. The officer performed a traffic stop on the vehicle after watching it travel over the center line twice and the white side line four times.

The officer reported that Lenz's eyes appeared "glazed and watery, and his speech was slow and slightly slurred."

The officer also observed a "very strong" odor of an alcoholic beverage from inside the vehicle. Lenz apparently told the officer he'd traveled from Detroit to Panama City, Fla., and was headed to Port St. Joe, Fla.

Lenz apparently told the officer he'd had a "couple" of alcoholic drinks while on the plane when asked if he'd been drinking. Lenz denied taking any medications along with the alcohol, but officers found medication in the vehicle. Lenz later told the officer he was on numerous medications. He said he didn't remember officers asking him about his medications at the traffic stop.

The report said Lenz refused to take the intoxilyzer test, and signed a form that he understood he would lose his driving privileges for one year for the refusal. He said at that time he wanted a lawyer.

The report also said Lenz either performed a standardized field sobriety test in an unsatisfactory manner or could not complete the evaluation.

My favorite part:
No officer, I don't take any medications.
Oh, you found medications in my 2012 Yukon on 24s with ACOM plates?
Actually, I take numerous medications while drinking and driving. nbd
I never said I took medications. I not am drunk, you is having drunk?

ohh_you.jpg

Last edited:
How does a post like 113's not violate the TOS policy?

113 and the rest have in no way addressed the the OP's question and, instead hijacked their thread. That's a violation of the TOS.

2. Be courteous and contribute positively. If you're not contributing to the forums in a positive manner, we reserve the right to temporarily or permanently close your account.
4.Stay on topic. Our membership encourages open discussion and debate as long as it relates to the topic of the thread at hand. Posts which do not relate to the original purpose or topic of the thread may be moved to a more appropriate location.
5.Trolls suck. If you come upon a guest that is clearly trolling, report their post. Trolling is misuse of the SDN site in a fashion which interrupts forum activity and intentionally violates our site policies.

113 and the rest have in no way addressed the the OP's question and, instead hijacked their thread. That's a violation of the TOS.

2. Be courteous and contribute positively. If you're not contributing to the forums in a positive manner, we reserve the right to temporarily or permanently close your account.
4.Stay on topic. Our membership encourages open discussion and debate as long as it relates to the topic of the thread at hand. Posts which do not relate to the original purpose or topic of the thread may be moved to a more appropriate location.
5.Trolls suck. If you come upon a guest that is clearly trolling, report their post. Trolling is misuse of the SDN site in a fashion which interrupts forum activity and intentionally violates our site policies.

I can tell you haven't been here long. Welcome to SDN. Also being accepted to a medical school does not make you a "Medical student". Some may be put off by that.

It sounds like you're going to ACOM.

The information I provided is very relevant. Because it's true--I wish I could make something like that up.

Medical schools aren't interested in students with DUIs. Do you want the dean of your medical school involved in questionable activities like DUI? I won't even mention that he lied to the police about medications...

Get back on topic.

I'd go with WCU here. No contest.

The information about the dean is public and in another thread could be relevant. But, in this thread its not and it's unfortunate that you either have issues in reading comprehension or some sort of personality disorder that compels you to hijack threads. Rationalize it all you want but the bottom line is you did absolutely nothing to contribute in any way to the OP's question.

way to go (slow claps)

The information about the dean is public and in another thread could be relevant. But, in this thread its not and it's unfortunate that you either have issues in reading comprehension or some sort of personality disorder that compels you to hijack threads. Rationalize it all you want but the bottom line is you did absolutely nothing to contribute in any way to the OP's question.

way to go (slow claps)

Really? I don't know why you insist on attacking me. Let it go.

I posted information with a source. I did not lie.

If I was interested in attending ACOM, this would be a big red flag. Let others judge the available information how they see fit.

I saw what our first class went though and it was NOT pretty!!! On the flip side, WHEN you survive all the arrows you will still be a part of the first class at ACOM. That is all I will say about ACOM as I know very little about them and am sure they will do fine.

The time in class is an issue for my class but this will be modified.Our current 1st years will have a better 2nd year because of the changes that will be made just as we had it better this year because of what our first class went thru last year. I am not saying there are no issues at WCU but there will be issues of some sort or another anywhere. I am happy with my decision to come to WCU.

[I]IMHO, the longer a school is up and running, the more time it has to correct any"start up" problems[/I].

I endorse this.

I think pointing out a dean's issues with the law should be considered when choosing a new school. It's totally relevant to ACOM and to this thread.

How does a post like 113's not violate the TOS policy?

I'm pretty sure misrepresenting yourself as a medical student is against the TOS policy but I'm too busy to go check because I'm actually a real medical student.

For the record, WCU > ACOM for the sole reason of "growing pains." There will be things that they haven't thought out, and not everything will go smoothly especially for a new school. No amount of planning can account for real-time problem shooting. When you have exams coming up and your stresss level is through the roof, the little things count.

Bump.. I'm interested to hear what people on this forum have to say about the two schools, as I'm considering them both this cycle.

In particular, I would like to hear more about rotation availability between the two schools, and future outcomes. WCUCOM's 2015 match list shows FM/EM/IM/GYN/GS, but ACOM will be matching their first class this coming Feb....

Bump.. I'm interested to hear what people on this forum have to say about the two schools, as I'm considering them both this cycle.

In particular, I would like to hear more about rotation availability between the two schools, and future outcomes. WCUCOM's 2015 match list shows FM/EM/IM/GYN/GS, but ACOM will be matching their first class this coming Feb....

I'd take a new school over WCU any day of the week.

I vote ACOM.

I don't know much about WCU, but ACOM has a bright future with all of the great things it has going on right now. They just opened up their research facility too which is cool. All of their facilities are beautiful, the Dothan area is very tight-knit and friendly, they have reliable clinical rotations established in the area, it's great.

One thing you definitely have to consider is the curricula (obviously), and ACOM has a unique one (the name of it escapes me at the moment... some kind of unique hybrid) I don't know what WCU's is like, as I already said I don't know much about WCU.

I haven't heard anything horrible about WCU, only a couple comments on board scores being lower (despite being around longer.) That being said, your board score is based on how hard you work... so I don't know if that necessarily holds any weight. Plus ACOMs is slightly lower too (89%ish), but then again they are a newer school.

It will be interesting to see how ACOM's 1st class matches in February; I'm excited to see.

Reactions: 1 user