ACOM vs WCUCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zbunny

Reaction score
I have to put a deposit down by December 15th, and I have yet to hear another acceptance to any other schools. I am considering which one of the two schools below I would put down the deposit if I don't hear anything from a more appealing school by then. I was born and live in Atlanta, GA for context, and my permanent family home is here. I don't plan to come home every weekend or even every month, but distance from my family is something I am considering. Their match and first time COMLEX pass rates are comparable to me, so I'm mostly considering financial and emotional aspects now.

ACOM
Pros
  • Closer to family (4 hour drive)
  • School overall sounds more appealing
Cons
  • Higher Student Indebtedness (about $52,000 higher over 4 years)
  • Alone 4 hours away from close family and friends
WCUCOM
Pros
  • Lower Indebtedness
  • Friends of the family nearby in the city for emergencies
Cons
  • Religious
  • Farther from family (6.5 hour drive)

Summary: ACOM sounds better, but it will be 20% more expensive than WCUCOM.

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations on being accepted into both schools! I agree that tuition is certainly a factor to keep in mind.

If being close to family and friends is one of your top priorities, I would take a look at each school’s rotation sites. It seems like the majority of WCUCOM’s affiliated hospitals and clinics are located in MS, LA, with a few in FL, and one in NY and AL respectively. ACOM’s rotation sites are mostly in AL and FL. Although I do not believe either of the schools have sites in GA, it seems like ACOM’s sites are generally closer to your family.

Also, if you have a particular specialty in mind for the future, it might be worth seeing if either school has a decent track record in terms of their students matching into those residencies.

As a fellow applicant, I am certainly not an expert on either institution, but I would be leaning toward ACOM. At the end of the day though, I think you should make the decision that you think is best for YOUR situation and preferences. Strangers on SDN (such as myself) can only provide so much insight (as I have come to learn after lurking on these forums for a while).

Best of luck to you!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
ACOM is not worth an extra $52k over 4 years unless being 2.5 hours closer to your family really is a big deal.

Most people on SDN say ACOM is better, but I think SDN is just an echo chamber. The rotations sound similar. I think ACOM's hospital only allows 12 students to rotate there. ACOM has been increasing its tuition by 5% a year for a while now. I don't think the religion thing is a concern at WCUCOM. It's nothing like Loma Linda or LUCOM. I like the city of Hattiesburg a little better (it's a college town), but Dothan is pretty close to some nice beaches. I have visited both schools and they seem to have similar resources. I think WCUCOM might be slightly better for research because they have an undergrad program and others schools nearby. ACOM prides itself in its simulation program.

I don't like the heightened monitoring at WCUCOM, but it sounds like the problem was fixed. The biggest thing I worry about with WCUCOM is that only 83 students matched last year. I am assuming they started with 100 and some students quit, failed, or redid a year. I think ACOM also has a high attrition rate. WCUCOM has expanded to 200 students this year (25 more students for 4 years) and I worry that resources will get stretched a little thin. (I am no expert so take my advice with a mountain of salt). They say they have enough rotation spots and made a new lecture building.

I really like both schools and don't think there is a wrong decision. I am trying to decide between these two and TUNCOM. After interviewing at a few schools, ACOM and WCUCOM were two of my favorites. If I didn't have to move for the third year I would probably choose one of these two schools in a heartbeat.

Edit: WCUCOM is pass/fail with quartile rankings. ACOM has A, B, C, and F. I think ACOM has required lectures, but WCUCOM has recorded lectures without mandatory attendance. I have heard recorded lectures and p/f are good things.

Also, WCUCOM is only $1,000 for the deposit and ACOM is $2,000. If you have other interviews and are confident about another school, you only lose 1k instead of 2k.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
If you want better education go to ACOM. WCUCOM is a mess right now.

I've heard similar things from another person who lives in the area, but they were not in the medical field. What do you mean by a mess if I may ask?

I've heard similar things from another person who lives in the area, but they were not in the medical field. What do you mean by a mess if I may ask?
I go to a school where two teachers just recently transferred from WCUCOM. the problem with the school is that it's more than a medical school. So when it comes to budget, the medical school gets the minimum share. They also put in minimum effort, just enough to stay accredited. they barely became accredited and were on probation multiple times. despite that, they increased their class size. They couldn't support their students before, so no one understands why. This is why you hear mixed things about WCUCOM. The students who get the support needed will most likely have a positive outlook, whereas those who don't won't. Medical school is challenging and rigorous and a good school will have multiple ways to support each student.

I go to a school where two teachers just recently transferred from WCUCOM. the problem with the school is that it's more than a medical school. So when it comes to budget, the medical school gets the minimum share. They also put in minimum effort, just enough to stay accredited. they barely became accredited and were on probation multiple times. despite that, they increased their class size. They couldn't support their students before, so no one understands why. This is why you hear mixed things about WCUCOM. The students who get the support needed will most likely have a positive outlook, whereas those who don't won't. Medical school is challenging and rigorous and a good school will have multiple ways to support each student.
@Ellesandra319

hey! thanks for the tag! wowzers! current OMS-1 at WCUCOM, so take everything below with a grain of salt!

first things first, i can't speak to the professors that left, because i've never interacted with them. do i know who they are and have i heard stories regarding those professors which were both positive and quite not positive? sure. but in the same way i would caution OP or anyone else from placing weight in the assessment of someone who's speaking about a school they've never attended based on secondhand stories from former employees with opinions which can't help but be biased, i would caution OP from listening to my assessment of two professors i've never met of whom i would only have an assessment based on second hand knowledge that is negatively biased. thus, i'll keep those stories to myself!

with that out of the way, i def agree with someone above that said SDN can be an echo chamber. like the assessment of wcucom above, there can be a lot of things thrown around that have very little sources/data, and consequently truth, behind them. i've found my best interactions on SDN are those that direct me to sources/data, which have in turn helped me make truly informed decisions about my future. and for that i'm grateful!

so, some things!

a) schools that are more than medical schools are like... every medical school, eh? the source for that would be, like, any medical school website? i guess i don't understand that logic.

b) the WCU budget is posted online with a quick google search! you see the exact operating expense of the COM compared to the DPT, Pharm, and undergrad/traditional graduate program budgets. it's not the "minimum share." as a side note the COM is separate from DPT, Pharm, etc. the only 2 programs run out of the COM are the DO and MBS SMP.

c) no one is pulling the wool over anyone's eyes here. the COM is 12 years old in a medium sized city in southern mississippi, surrounded by some of the most rural and underserved populations in the south. this isn't new york. or kansas city. or a western suburb of boise, idaho. ;) as with many DO programs, the COM is not ashamed of their mission to place primary care physicians, specifically in the gulf south. that said, they're fully aware that a significant portion of students are not going to stay in the gulf south, nor may choose primary care. as @Goro always says but is so often lost on people on SDN, the student makes the match, not the school. the COM does everything in their power to equally empower each student to succeed, and your education here is not going to hold you back. source? the match results for the last 3-4 classes are readily accessible through a search here on SDN or through a quick google search. there's a good chunk of people in primary care, but there's also a good chunk of people in non-primary care residencies, at some pretty prestigious programs.

d) there's already a lot posted on SDN about why the COM is on heightened monitoring (not probation) with respect to research opportunities and how that is being addressed! again, no one is pulling the wool over anyones eyes. there are an increasing number of research opportunities, but this isn't a large university med center. there are some research opportunities which can be handed to you, but as with most places, if you have a niche you want to explore, you're going to have to do some leg work to find that. definitely reach out to Dr. Weir if you have more questions about that!

as far as support, i'd be curious as to how "support" or lack there of is defined, and perhaps could speak to that more, at least from a first year perspective. while i didn't meet the 2 professors in question, i have met every single first year pre-clinical faculty and each of them has gone out of there way to offer extra didactic time, extra time in lab, office hours, private tutoring, group tutoring, and weekend study sessions to each person in our class. to be honest, the feedback we've gotten from admin is that at least our class hasn't taken advantage of the opportunities professors have offered. again i can't speak to 3rd and 4th year, which might be what the above commenter is referencing but here are some other resources we have:

-full academic counseling/advising office
-unlimited mental health counseling
-boards and beyond
-truelearn/combank
-complete anatomy
-we have a full cadaver lab with 4 people to a cadaver per semester

again first year perspective, but if the above commenter is referencing like second chance opportunities for those struggling academically, if we were given any more opportunities, it'd be a crime. we get lots of second chances. i don't feel comfortable sharing those details publicly but again reach out to Dr. Weir and i'm sure he'll answer you! anyways, take that for with a grain of salt from a first year perspective, and feel free to jump over to the 2022-2023 thread if you have any other questions or want to read more!

oh and also for OP, the religious thing is like a non-issue. it's a shame, because i've heard that as a "con" from a few on SDN this cycle, but i can't describe to you how much of a non-factor that is. the COM has intentionally focused on diversifying our student makeup, and i can tell you the vast majority of our students and frankly faculty are of a race and religion that is not white nor christian/baptist! feel free to reach out to our director of diversity who's contact info is readily available on the website if you have any questions about that!

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 2 users
Dude you don’t even know what you’re talking about. The school is not a mess. There is adequate support if needed and honestly if you can not do the bare minimum to pass with a 69.5 in classes then I’m not really sure you have the intellect or drive to be a physician unless you have some personal problems. And if that is the case the school will allow you to repeat the semester or take a LOA.

Also the school is definitely not struggling budget wise and as a student it doesn’t feel like they do the bare minimum.

As a current student my only real complaints would be our BSPH class, the fact that OPP requires a significant amount of time and energy.

Additionally you go to a unaccredited for profit school that cost 13K more a year and yet the facilities are smaller than that of WCUCOM. ICOM has received its fair share of criticism and is brand new school with only a year worth of match data. Here’s a news article about ICOM being shady For-Profit Medical Schools, Once Banished, Are Sneaking Back .
And additionally your school is fully embracing private equity firms which could be argued are making Americas healthcare system even worse than it currently ICOM takes on new investment from large private equity firm

Furthermore here are some more links criticizing your school
Also FYI for students who don’t just love OPP and think it can be a bit hokey then you should know that one of the facility members that left WCUCOM to ICOM list his personal career interest as medical acupuncture and cranial nerve manipulation which are two areas of OMM that are controversial due to the lack of evidence supporting its usefulness.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users