WCUCOM vs UIWSOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ijustwannasaveppl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have lived in both TX and MS so am familiar with both states. I liked interviewing at each school and am struggling to decide. Thank you so much for taking the time to help! ♥ I am also waitlisted at SHSU-COM, which is my number one choice.

UIWSOM:

Pros: closer to family, rotation sites are in Texas, where I would ultimately like to live

Cons: written short answer exams, self led / Socratic learning ( flashbacks to MCAT self study yikes), I feel a little nervous about moving to such a large city ( grew up on rural ranches lol) and didn't feel very safe in the area around the campus. No emphasis on rural medicine, which is what I ultimately want to do. I don't speak Spanish and a lot of the school's mission programs are devoted to Spanish speaking patients so I worry that I wouldn't be able to help/would be in the way. More expensive (60K a year)

WCUCOM:

Pros: felt at home the second I was on campus, very kind faculty and students. Felt safe around the town. Big emphasis on rural medicine which is my passion. Mission work goes to rural areas I am familiar with. Already paid 2k deposit. Cheaper (40k a year)

Cons: I know it has a bit of bad reputation due to low board rates but it seems to be improving. Hattiesburg is a pretty small town and while I feel safer with that/used to that I don't want to limit myself and not have good rotation opporutnites. Far from family.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user