ACOM vs WVSOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pstar9

Reaction score
I am incredibly blessed to be accepted to both of these schools. I feel that they are generally on the same level in terms of match lists, emphasis on primary care, and most doctors working in rather rural settings. WVSOM's more established history is not significant enough for me to make a clear choice. Any insight would be appreciated ya'll.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I have no experience with WVSOM, but I did interview at ACOM and absolutely loved it there. My buddy chose ACOM over UCLA two years ago. Seems like an awesome place.

Both schools are doing relatively well, so it will come down to some things you consider important.

-Is one closer to family? Mandatory classes (I can’t remember for these two)? Dress code? What did the second years say to you? How is the curriculum?

These are just some things to consider if you are feeling 50/50 with both of them.

Reactions: 1 user
I don’t things about ACOM but I know some about WVSOM so I’ll say what I know, with hopes it will help:
Tuition is basically identical
WVSOM has no dress code, nor do they have mandatory lectures (I’m not sure about ACOM)
WVSOM is partially pass/fail (you pass with anything over a 70% average but you still get a letter grade and percentage for the class)
WVSOM is the top school in the country for producing docs that practice in rural areas
Their match list this past year was pretty successful (1 in derm, 10 in anesthesiology, 9 in gen surgery, 2 in ortho, 1 in ENT, 1 in urology)