ACOs and Ophthalmology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

foureyes

Attending iDoc
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there are any pros/cons to joining an ACO as an ophthalmologist?

Don't really hear much about this since ACOs seem focused on primary care.

One prominent group is offering subsidized Epic EHR if independent, affiliated MD practice is accepted and join's their Medicare ACO. If the ACO does not meet CMS quality measures are a group, the group would be on the hook for any penalties leveled.

Members don't see this ad.

How are you affiliated with the group now and what would be the relationship going forward if you join their ACO? Have others joined recently? Aside from the EHR what is the incentive for you to join? Would there be potential downsides to joining?

This is a very interesting question. I know with HMOs there are issues with capitation and the like which can be very frustrating but my understanding is that ACOs are quite different. We have not joined an ACO but have found it rather cost prohibitive to comply with all the Medicare regulations (ie MIPS, MACRA etc) and understand why ACOs are attractive. Would love to hear your insight. Honestly I need to learn more about the issue