ACP Membership/MKSAP for intern year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MudPhudHopeful

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just started orientation today and found out that for the categorical IM folks, after joining ACP as a resident member, MKSAP is paid for, but this is not true for the prelims in other specialties, such as neurology. I was wondering if you all think it would be worth it to fork over the money for ACP membership and MKSAP18 coming out next month ($119 and $431, respectively) for studying during intern year?

Members don't see this ad.

My goal during prelim-IM intern year was basically to gain a good basic foundation in inpatient medicine and to pass Step 3. For that purpose, all I needed really was just UWorld, a review book, UpToDate, and whatever other articles/presentations the internal medicine program discussed during rounds/conferences. The program did enroll me in ACP membership and gave me a hard-copy of MKSAP books just like the categoricals, but I haven't touched any of it.

I don't think MKSAP is necessary for neurology residents. I've never heard of neurology residents taking the medicine in service exam during PGY-1.