ACP Membership/MKSAP for intern year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MudPhudHopeful

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just started orientation today and found out that for the categorical IM folks, after joining ACP as a resident member, MKSAP is paid for, but this is not true for the prelims in other specialties, such as neurology. I was wondering if you all think it would be worth it to fork over the money for ACP membership and MKSAP18 coming out next month ($119 and $431, respectively) for studying during intern year?
 
My goal during prelim-IM intern year was basically to gain a good basic foundation in inpatient medicine and to pass Step 3. For that purpose, all I needed really was just UWorld, a review book, UpToDate, and whatever other articles/presentations the internal medicine program discussed during rounds/conferences. The program did enroll me in ACP membership and gave me a hard-copy of MKSAP books just like the categoricals, but I haven't touched any of it.
 
I don't think MKSAP is necessary for neurology residents. I've never heard of neurology residents taking the medicine in service exam during PGY-1.