ACRO Webinar - How to find a job discussion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don’t care about Hershey. No swamps so clearly not for me and i don’t like meth, generally. Anyways, the poor guy is probably being mistreated here, if you don’t know him you don’t know his motives or his drive, although i absolutely agree that it is suspicious but doesn’t mean hes some terrible person. I am going to let this rest on my end until we know more. If that Case Western “chair” attempts to open up a program he will join the circus of already replete clown bully chairs and be ridiculed. Nobody worth a damn is going to go train in Hershey. CASE WESTERN and their no good terrible already cannot fill program, is the one you should direct your energy towards as they are currently expanding. Shame on you CASE WESTERN!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
I don’t care about Hershey. No swamps so clearly not for me and i don’t like meth, generally. Anyways, the poor guy is probably being mistreated here, if you don’t know him you don’t know his motives or his drive, although i absolutely agree that it is suspicious but doesn’t mean hes some terrible person. I am going to let this rest on my end until we know more. If that Case Western “chair” attempts to open up a program he will join the circus of already replete clown bully chairs and be ridiculed. Nobody worth a damn is going to go train in Hershey. CASE WESTERN and their no good terrible already cannot fill program, is the one you should direct your energy towards as they are currently expanding. Shame on you CASE WESTERN!!!!

Only thing worse than Hershey PA is the entire state of Alabama. Whooooo buddy that is one hell hole. It should be illegal to have to be a a rad onc there, that’s cruel and unusual punishment! Roll tide? More like roll me into my grave before I live in Alabama

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Only thing worse than Hershey PA is the entire state of Alabama. Whooooo buddy that is one hell hole. It should be illegal to have to be a a rad onc there, that’s cruel and unusual punishment! Roll tide? More like roll me into my grave before I live in Alabama
Personally could include MS in there for me as well, for good measure. Leaders in poverty nationally

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Penn state doc giving seminar on how to find a job.

"How to Find a Job in Radiation Oncology"

Just consider for a moment the true insanity of that statement. How to find a job... in Radiation Oncology. A field of medicine. After 4 years of college, 4 years of medical school, 5 years of residency. Untold hours of hard-work, dedication, sacrifice unparalleled by nearly any other vocation. That the prospect of employment after all of that training is now so tenuous that the newest members of the field have to apply careful consideration and deliberation just to find acceptable work.

Granted, I suspect this seminar will be much more in line with "how to navigate the employment search process," or "how to find a evaluate a practice" rather than "how to find a job," although the former lack the pithiness of the latter. I actually found the article that he co-wrote a few years ago about this very topic to be well done, which also broached the "delicate" topic of financial contract negotiation. So we will see.

Reactions: 1 users

Just consider for a moment the true insanity of that statement. How to find a job... in Radiation Oncology. A field of medicine. After 4 years of college, 4 years of medical school, 5 years of residency. Untold hours of hard-work, dedication, sacrifice unparalleled by nearly any other vocation. That the prospect of employment after all of that training is now so tenuous that the newest members of the field have to apply careful consideration and deliberation just to find acceptable work.

Granted, I suspect this seminar will be much more in line with "how to navigate the employment search process," or "how to find a evaluate a practice" rather than "how to find a job," although the former lack the pithiness of the latter. I actually found the article that he co-wrote a few years ago about this very topic to be well done, which also broached the "delicate" topic of financial contract negotiation. So we will see.
exactly what I thougtt

From the website (bolded emphasis mine): Webinar - Finding a job in radiation oncology: a guide for young physicians - American College of Radiation Oncology

The ACRO New Practitioner and Residents’ Committees are pleased to offer this valuable free webinar which will provide general advice for physicians looking for a job in clinical radiation oncology and some tips for entering into contract negotiations. Specifically, it is geared toward young faculty and graduating residents going into academics or private practice.

From the website (bolded emphasis mine): Webinar - Finding a job in radiation oncology: a guide for young physicians - American College of Radiation Oncology

The ACRO New Practitioner and Residents’ Committees are pleased to offer this valuable free webinar which will provide general advice for physicians looking for a job in clinical radiation oncology and some tips for entering into contract negotiations. Specifically, it is geared toward young faculty and graduating residents going into academics or private practice.
Yet it remains interesting how the talk has been titled.

It wasn't titled "negotiating your best offer" "how to pick the best practice" etc

Which is telling and speaks volumes imo

Yet it remains interesting how the talk has been titled.

It wasn't titled "negotiating your best offer" "how to pick the best practice" etc

Which is telling and speaks volumes imo

The website link is "acro.org/events/webinar-contract-negotiation-tips-for-early-career-radiation-oncologists/"

So mixed signals all throughout.

The website link is "acro.org/events/webinar-contract-negotiation-tips-for-early-career-radiation-oncologists/"

So mixed signals all throughout.
ACRO trying to steal young people from ASTRO...plain and simple

1) Why are you asking me to refute that stuff when that is besides the point and not even an argument I made?

2) why are you conjecturing that he is leading the charge to open a residency? such unsubstantiated BS. we as a group barely have a mild rumor, that maybe at some point PSU was or is trying to open a program, and all of a sudden it's this guy's fault and he's not allowed to talk about the job hunt? This place thrives on **** talk, my god, get a grip.

Sorry if my post was ambiguous. I was bringing up those points because I think its material to a critique about your point. Your point, or one of them, was 'well all fields have these job talks' and I completely agree with that. But in my opinion it is reasonable to view these differently in a field that has published data the market is bad, such as a published oversupply, annual work surveys of the field, the objective increase in 'fellowships' which the ABR chair called out as a false pretense in labeling, etc - that colors the nature of the talk. Particularly because there is information asymmetry - those things are published, but most 'rad onc twitter' and academics seem to ignore this data - and specifically the person giving the talk has cast aspersions on the information provided on SDN. We are certainly anonymous, but I think a lot of us see the data in front of us, fear reprisals from more senior people in the field, and have a clear sense our deal is much worse off than was promised or worked for. So if the guy telling people to discount us is giving a job talk, and not acknowledging the published data (notice how I hammer this point), I think it is very reasonable to delineate that as a different situation then generic 'get a job talk' in a specialty that's not training more physicians than society needs. And that's a 2015 statement, APM and CMS changes as well as hypofractionation only put significant downside pressure on the demand projections. Maybe his talk will acknowledge all of this, though it would seem to contradict his tweeted view.

As for point 2 - you are correct, I do not know 100% if PSU has applied for a residency or what if any steps they have taken in formal application - but certainly you can take a look at how that group is being put together and the structure is pretty consistent with a residency goal in mind with the above information in mind.

My grip is pretty good, most days at least. You let me know again if I am slipping though. I think people who give advice are selfless and that is awesome, but just like there is a difference in getting investment advice from a financial adviser with no fiduciary conflict of interest and a 'pump and dump' advisor (which still exist!), it is reasonable to parse out the differences and motive in the content.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users