ACS Exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
P

PintSize88

I am currently taking first part of Organic Chemistry.

My professor told us that ACS exam will be our final.

I know that it's all multiple choices, so we don't have to know the mechanism for each?

How does it work? What should I focus to study for?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Just buy the ACS exam study guide and you'll do fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should still study the mechanisms. I remember questions that were something like which of the following is a step in the SN2 reaction. I agree with what was said above. The ACS study guide is very, very helpful!

To me, the ACS study guide was worth the money. My orgo professor said that the study guide was harder than the actual ACS exam, and he was slightly right.
So, if you do marginal on the study guide, you should be OK. Hopefully I'm right and the ACS people have not made major changes to the test :)

Is it worth mentioning your ACS orgo score?

I got a B in the class, but I scored in the 92nd percentile, so I feel like my actual grade does not reflect my knowledge of the material. Is there anywhere to list this on applications? Is it important or helpful?

Just buy the ACS exam study guide and you'll do fine.

I took the Organic ACS exam back in 2007. I recommend the study guide book. There is no substitute.