ACT vs. MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jamier2

SDN Hillbilly Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have always wondered how people did on the MCAT as compared to the ACT. I never took the SAT, so comparisons to it look like Greek to me. :)

If anyone has a source of any studies about this, or would post a "theoretical" conversion chart I would appreciate it.

If anyone is comfortable recounting their personal scores, that would be appreciated as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Jamie-

It's me Spang. As you know I'm still holding my breath on the MCAT but I got a 28 composite on the ACT (in 1985!) so there ya go! We'll see!

Any day now.... :p

I didn't take the ACT, but my sister did. She got a perfect score on the ACT and got a 34 on the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys (and gals), anybody else?

Spang, like you, I have a little more waiting to see what I did. I got a 30 on my ACT, and I just want to match that on my MCAT. :)

Is there a relationship between ACT success and MCAT success? Do you know of anyone who didn't score well on the ACT, but came around to do well on the MCAT? I'd like to hear some stories about this if any exist.

Thanks

The two tests are really nothing like one another, so any direct comparison would be purely correlational. That being said, I got a 32 on the ACT and a 30 on the MCAT. For the ACT, I studied for 2 hours, and took the test a bit hung over (I really didn't need to take it). For the MCAT, I studied for 3 months, and still only got an "average" score. :rolleyes:

In my case:

ACT: 33
MCAT: 31

Of course I studied MUCH harder for the MCAT and like Mango, was somewhat disappointed in a basically average score.

Oh well, at least I did good enough to where I dont really have to retake it.

I have yet to find out what I got on the MCAT but I just wanted to say that, unlike Mango, I think the ACT and MCAT are very much alike. At least more so than the SAT and the MCAT are alike. Of course the material on the MCAT is a lot more science-based, but the overall question types very much reminded me of the ACT.

Mike

Anybody score lower than a 30 ACT back in high school, but still got into med school with an average MCAT score? I didn't score a 30 on my ACT and I'm starting to worry. I scored in the lower 20's, but that was because I didn't care. I got what I needed to get into the school of my choice. I was a dumb young kid back then. Do you think there's any hope for me to do "well" on the MCAT? (a score of 28-30). Thanks

Atlas

Originally posted by mtritt2:
•I have yet to find out what I got on the MCAT but I just wanted to say that, unlike Mango, I think the ACT and MCAT are very much alike. At least more so than the SAT and the MCAT are alike. Of course the material on the MCAT is a lot more science-based, but the overall question types very much reminded me of the ACT.

Mike•

Mike,

If I remember correctly, the ACT and the MCAT are written by the same company. And I agree with you, the ACT and MCAT are much more similar to each other than the SAT and MCAT.

Atlas,

I wouldnt worry so much about it. There is a very low correlation (if any at all) between ACT and MCAT scores I would imagine. I'm sure you tried your best and thats all you can do.

I don't think Jamie was trying to establish a scientific correlation between the two scores but was trying to get a feel for how one's performance on the ACT might indicate your aptitude for standardized testing and thus possible successful outcome on the MCAT.

Or maybe not.

Any day now... :p

ACT - 30 (1986...I think they've rescaled since then?)
MCAT - 34 (1999), 35 (1992)
BTW on both ACT and SAT, my highest score by far was on the Verbal sections- I think 32 or 33 on ACT English section, ~730 on SAT Verbal- yet that was consistently my worst section of the MCAT (10). MCAT Verbal is a KILLER!

What makes the verbal section a "killer" in your opinion? I took a practice section and scored an 11. I didn't think it was too hard, but then again it was a practice exam in the comfort of my home.

Members don't see this ad :)
The format of the tests may be similar, but any and all similarities end there! The MCAT is about cramming as much information as you can into your head, and then applying it to situations that you're not familiar with. As I recalled earlier, the ACT required no studying at all. Translation -- very different types of tests in my estimation.

On the question of vervbal section, after taking the SAT/ACT/GRE/ and the MCAT, I would agree that the MCAT is the hardest. It is a question of time, or lack thereof. Plus, it's the first section at the beginning of the day, and some people's test anxiety gets the best of them.

Just stay calm, that's the best advice you can get. And do a LOT of practice tests!

Originally posted by Spang:
•I don't think Jamie was trying to establish a scientific correlation between the two scores but was trying to get a feel for how one's performance on the ACT might indicate your aptitude for standardized testing and thus possible successful outcome on the MCAT.•

That's about it. I was also hoping to see more who got higher on the MCAT than the ACT. Hopefully I did, but who knows!

...and the waiting continues. :(

ACT: 27 (1986 or 1987, I don't recall)
MCAT: 30 (2000)

As having been a teacher for 5 years and spending a great deal of time analyzing, writing and preparing students for exams (including standardized), the ACT and MCAT are pretty much exactly alike in their principal measure: Your ability to take standardized tests. This is a completely independent skill. If you are not a good "test taker" then you will consistently do worse than those that are regardless of knowledge base, preparation time etc. So all things being equal and excluding anomolies (illness, error in bubbling answers, dangling chad, etc...) if you have done well on previous standardized tests, you can assume that you will do reasonably well on future standardized tests, and conversely, those who struggled will continue to struggle. This excludes those who actually take the time to improve their test taking skills (rather than just study content) which is quite a different matter entirely, and one that few seem to do.

So relax, you probably did fine, just like you did before. If you didn't do well on previous tests and spent no time finding out what skills you lack, then you may be disappointed with your consistency.

I have met very few test taking "karate kids" who get their butts kicked in the back alleys of practice tests only to win the whole tournament when it really counts on test day.

Best wishes with your results. AND REMEMBER, the MCAT is only one small piece of the puzzle. Keep your focus on the entire application.

I sent you a private message with my scores.

ACT 27
MCAT 30
USMLE Step I 238 (>85th percentile)

All is possible! :D

•••quote:•••Originally posted by imtiaz:
•My ACT and MCAT matched up pretty well. 31 on both. Go figure.•••••I got an ACT 32, god willing better than that on the MCAT. Anyone else?

Hey Jamier2-
I thought you were already in med school at UK, how can you be waiting for your MCAT scores?

•••quote:•••Originally posted by cutes:
•Hey Jamier2-
I thought you were already in med school at UK, how can you be waiting for your MCAT scores?•••••This in an old thread I revived. . .sorry.
Isid

Okay, thanks for telling me, I didn't even notice the date.--cutes

•••quote:•••Originally posted by isidella:
• •••quote:•••Originally posted by cutes:
••••This in an old thread I revived. . .sorry.
Isid•••••Interesting. The dean of admissions at Loma Linda told me the ACT is a good indicator of your MCAT. I got 33 on the ACT and I am waiting for my MCAT but I didn't study for the ACT. It was interesting on the ACT my lowest section was math and I usually do really well in math (800 on SAT and SAT II math) and my verbal reasoning was 36.

took the ACT quite a few times and got (chronologically) a 25 (like sophmore year), a 28 and finally a 30. Took the MCAT a bit more seriously, studied, and got a 33. I seriously dont think theres much correlation between the 2. the verbal on the ACT is nothing like that of the MCAT difficulty wise, and the only thing that is closely resembling is the science section, which is basically reading comp

I agree, there is *NO* correlation because the MCAT is a test which not only tests whatever, it tests HOW MUCH STUFF you learned in undergrad... i.e. Orgo, physiology, etc. I personally went to a **** high school (metal detectors to get in) and learned absolutely nothing... graduating witih a 2.9 and a 24 ACT. Somehow I got into Michigan State University, and I'm graduating with a 3.82 and just got a 33S on the MCAT. I studied about the same for both tests also. I think I did so much better 'cuz my BRAIN developed during college... whereas in highschool is degenerated.
That's my thought
(i'm not a minority)

well...I think I got a 29(or a 31) on the ACT and a 34-36 on the MCAT. I liked both of these more than the SAT/GRE type tests.

30 ACT

31 MCAT.

There are a lot of similarities between the two tests. Both are 4 sections, both have a reading comprehension section, both have science reasoning sections (of course MCAT has 2). The MCAT science really is a science reasoning section because like the ACT you apply science you know to scenarios outlined in the passages and answer questions (you had to know some science to do well on the ACT it was more than just pulling answers from the passages).

I took the ACT the morning after playing a high school football game (as my little brother would say "I lost a few brain cells playing too much football"). I didn't study for it at all, in high school it was completely beyond my frame of thought to study for a standardized test.

In college I studied some for the MCAT, but not as much as I probably should have. I also took it after not having slept the 2 previous nights, in fact I finished the Biology section 20 minutes early and put my head down and took a nap :)

Jamier...I'll send you a PM

Well...everyone can tell I'm bored, I usually don't post so much.

ACT 22 (1991), can you tell I didn't care much about high school. I didn't study for it. And unlike one of the other posters, this wasn't good enough for Michigan State undergrad, they rejected me. My High School GPA was around 2.7 as well.

MCAT 32 (1996)...I didn't study for this either, but I took college seriously.

Wow, it's hard to believe how nervous I was about that stinking test! :)

BTW, I ended up with a 30 ACT, and a 32 MCAT. I was happy with that.

Mossjoh, I'll check my private messages.

It's so neat to see an old post come back up and reminisce about the times when I was a newbie around here. :D