ACT vs SAT scores

R2ski2

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi hSDN! I took the ACT in March this year and just got my scores back. I haven't done any ACT-specific prep, but I have done a lot of SAT prep. I've taken multiple SAT practice tests and have gotten a high of 1480 on two of them. On my March ACT I received a composite score of 33.
I was wondering if you think I'm scoring better in one vs the other and if I should study for the ACT instead?
I got a 9/12 on the ACT writing (essay) portion. Does this seem like a low score when compared to my composite score? I'm trying to figure out where to focus my efforts so that I can receive the highest score on one of them. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I really think this all depends on the college you are trying to go to!
For my large, public university a 33 on the ACT gave me a full scholarship, but at other places (Ivys, smaller private schools, etc.) you would receive no scholarship money/possibly not even get accepted (It would depend on how you look as an applicant with extra curriculars and all that fun stuff!)
Personally, if you have a high enough score on the ACT or SAT to get a full ride/acceptance from your dream college/whatever you want to achieve I would say to not stress about the test! Once you enter college no one will know your ACT/SAT or care too much about it, and HS should be as much a chance as you can get to relax before you have to worry about pre-med requirements in college!

If you are trying to go to a prestigious school with lower acceptance rates I'm sorry I can't help out too much but I hope at least part of this was helpful!