MD ACTH deficiency and weight loss

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Angeo108

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that ACTH stimulates the adrenal glands to produce different hormones, such as Cortisol, and Cortisol has several effects on our metabolism, including the stimulation of gluconeogenesis, protein catabolism and mobilization of fatty acids, resulting in high levels of circulating free fatty acids and glucose.
So, with a decrease in Cortisol levels, I would assume we have an increase in glucose uptake by cells, a decrease in circulating blood glucose, and an increase in the uptake of fatty acids by the adipose tissue.
So, how it comes that with ACTH deficiency we have weight loss?
We shouldn't have weight gain with increased uptake of glucose and fats?
May it be that a chronic glucose uptake signals to the brain that you don't need much calorie intake, since you already have you energy stores which are sufficient, so you eat less?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

When it comes to endocrine, I usually try to think about it in the most simplified manner. Prolonged cortisol exposure (like in cushings) gives you moon face along with other “fat like” features. Decrease in ACTH—>decrease in cortisol, which means weight loss

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

When it comes to endocrine, I usually try to think about it in the most simplified manner. Prolonged cortisol exposure (like in cushings) gives you moon face along with other “fat like” features. Decrease in ACTH—>decrease in cortisol, which means weight loss

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Yes, but I don't understand why a decrease in cortisol means loss of weight, which is the underlying mechanism leading to this result?