Do LORs carry extra weight for the residency program that the writer graduated from, especially if it's a younger attending?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1139416

Currently working with a super young attending who did residency at a major academic center in New England. Will a letter from her mean something special if I apply to the residency program she just graduated from?

Members don't see this ad.

Hard to say. But even if yes, you can't pick your letter writers just because there might be a minor bonus at one specific program.

Reactions: 1 user
Hard to say. But even if yes, you can't pick your letter writers just because there might be a minor bonus at one specific program.

It's the other way around. I hadn't considered this program before, but now I am looking into it to see if I might like it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Currently working with a super young attending who did residency at a major academic center in New England. Will a letter from her mean something special if I apply to the residency program she just graduated from?
Depends on the field and if this person was well liked in their residency. I can see touchy feely fields being really excited that a recent graduate is writing a letter for an applicant. I can also see “old school” docs looking at a letter from an assistant professor and think the student couldn’t do better or couldn’t impress senior staff.

As above, get letters based on who can write the strongest letter, and for surgical fields, more senior staff.

Reactions: 2 users
It might, but at best would likely be miniscule. Keep in mind you cannot assume that, just because an attending recently trained at a program, the leadership of that program necessarily thinks highly (or even well) of them.