Active Duty Commitment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bogatyr

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just received my Army orders for internship. Near the top it says ACTIVE DUTY COMMITMENT: OBLIGATED VOLUNTEER OFFICER 60 MONTHS. Can someone shed some light on this? When I signed up for the HPSP I signed up for 4 years. Why does it now say 5 years?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I would guess - and this is just a guess - that you are going into a five year internship/residency? If not, it is one year for internship - assuming no follow on residency - and four years of obligated time.

I think PilotDoc is right - what is on your orders is simply your time that you are "called to service" as an officer.

Your "obligated time" due to HPSP is handled by your contract -

Another interpretation - if you have _not_ signed up for a 5 year residency (or 4+1, whatever), that 5 year figure may be the sum representing the absolute minimum you can do at this point - one year as an intern, and then your 4 year commitment as a GMO.

Either way, that 60 month figure starts _now_, it does not represent your payback time _after_ you finish training.

Hope that helps.