HPSP Active Duty and IRR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pawprint

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick Question regarding IRR commitment for HPSP folks.

My Navy HPSP contract says that I have an 8 year service commitment (I owe 4 years active duty and 4 years IRR). I did internship -> 5 years as flight surgeon (I did 1 year of flight school and two 2-year tours). That's 6 years total of active duty including my intern year. Does that mean I owe 2 or 3 years in the IRR? I am not sure if my intern year counts towards the IRR requirement.

According to my contract, it says in section e: " I will not be relieved of any educational ADSO while attending a Navy sponsored post-graduated specialty training, internship, or AEGD/GPR year."

It also says in section h: "I will not incur any additional ADSO for the time spent on active duty in a military facility during the first year of graduation professional education (PG-1) if a physician. ADSOs acquired from participation in the AFHPSP or from other uniformed services training (ie: US military academies or ROTC) cannot be satisfied during PG-1 on active duty. However, the time spent on active duty PG-1 training is credited toward completion of my minimum term of service."

My reading of this is that internship year does not count towards the active duty service obligation, but it does count towards the IRR part according to that last line in section h.

Is that correct? Trying to see what my IRR time is once I'm out. I know I don't have to do anything while in the IRR, but I want to make sure I am officially cut off when I am supposed to be cut off.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Quick Question regarding IRR commitment for HPSP folks.

< . . . . >

My reading of this is that internship year does not count towards the active duty service obligation, but it does count towards the IRR part according to that last line in section h.

Is that correct?

Thanks!
Correct. It counts toward the 8 year minimum, not toward the ADSO.

Reactions: 1 user