Active Duty Military in Need of Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SaltySailor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm currently an officer in the US Navy and would like to attend medical school. I'm only interested in US based medical schools, (DO or MD programs are fine), and I am not interested in becoming a doctor in the military, (no HPSP).

My first question is probably geared towards military members. Can the post 9/11 bill be used to pay for post-bacc programs, and/or, can it be used to pay a portion of medical school tuition? I've tried asking the veteran affairs office plenty of times, but I get opposing answers... My major in college was English, and I have no previous science experience, so I feel a post bacc program would greatly benefit me.

Secondly, I've heard of post-bacc programs that do not require an applicant to that program's medical school to take the MCAT. In other words, if the applicant's post-bacc grades are high enough, they are guaranteed a spot to that school's medical school only.

Thirdly, are post-bacc programs really worth it? If I can get around taking a post-bacc, (and avoid the excessive tuition fees), and jump right into medical school, I'd do it if I knew how. The only justification for taking a post-bacc, from the research I've done, is to "make up" for a low undergrad GPA or gain the necessary science knowledge if one has never been exposed to it before. Are taking classes at a regular community college OK? I'd imagine this is hard to do on a military lifestyle. Have any active duty personnel done this in the past?

Unfortunately, my undergrad GPA was a 2.8 :( Believe me, I've already beat myself up on this too many times... I fully realize the low GPA will be a major obstacle to overcome in my pursuit of a medical education.

Any help on these questions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

My first question is probably geared towards military members. Can the post 9/11 bill be used to pay for post-bacc programs, and/or, can it be used to pay a portion of medical school tuition? I've tried asking the veteran affairs office plenty of times, but I get opposing answers... My major in college was English, and I have no previous science experience, so I feel a post bacc program would greatly benefit me.

It might be better to ask this question in the Military Medicine subforum. I don't think that many people in this forum will know the answer to your question.

Secondly, I've heard of post-bacc programs that do not require an applicant to that program's medical school to take the MCAT. In other words, if the applicant's post-bacc grades are high enough, they are guaranteed a spot to that school's medical school only.

Yes, there are some programs likes this. I can't think of any off of the top of my head. Keep in mind that the GPA bar is usually set very high. If you have a GPA that is high enough to be auto-admitted into the postbacc's associated med school, you would probably also do very well if you gave up the seat and applied to other medical schools. What I'm getting at is that a guaranteed admit isn't a safe fallback. You can't go into a postbacc program thinking "I'll try my best, but if I mess up, I can still get an auto-admit" because you usually have to do great (or at least significantly above average) to get an auto admit.

Thirdly, are post-bacc programs really worth it? If I can get around taking a post-bacc, (and avoid the excessive tuition fees), and jump right into medical school, I'd do it if I knew how.

I've never heard of someone with a 2.8ish GPA getting into med school without a postbacc. It seems to be the only way, I'm afraid.

Some postbacc programs are cheaper than others, but unfortunately, the cheap ones also tend to be the bad ones. If tuition is a problem, you could try looking at your state school first. It will be expensive, but it might only cost you an arm instead of an arm and a leg. If you are looking for "hidden gem" postbacc programs, you might have more luck in the Nontraditional Students forum.

The only justification for taking a post-bacc, from the research I've done, is to "make up" for a low undergrad GPA or gain the necessary science knowledge if one has never been exposed to it before. Are taking classes at a regular community college OK?

If you're making up for a poor GPA, community college classes won't cut it. They are usually perceived as being easier than four year university classes, so if you go get a 4.0 at community college after getting a 2.8 at a four year, admissions committees won't be very impressed. It's not fair, but that's how it is.

I'd imagine this is hard to do on a military lifestyle. Have any active duty personnel done this in the past?

Again, you're more likely to get answers on the Military Medicine subforum.

Unfortunately, my undergrad GPA was a 2.8 :( Believe me, I've already beat myself up on this too many times... I fully realize the low GPA will be a major obstacle to overcome in my pursuit of a medical education.

It is a major obstacle, but not a deal breaker. There have been many people on this forum that have come bounced from a poor undergrad experience like that. You might find some people with such experiences if you go to the Nontraditional Students subforum.

If you get a good postbacc GPA (3.7+ is ideal, 3.5+ is workable) and a good MCAT (33+ is ideal, 30+, maybe even high twenties should be workable) you will have a great shot at medical schools. It's not an easy road, but it is one that many have successful navigated before.

Good luck and thank you for your service!

Last edited:
Our program does not require the MCAT. SMPs are a dime-a-dozen, so some homework will help you find the right one for you.

I believe that Rosy Franklin has a linkage program like you describe, but other programs will only guarantee you an interview, not a seat. UIt wouldn't surprise me if some offer no guarantees at all.

Post-bacs can be "DIY" and are fine. I've seen plenty of my students do just that. The whole goal for any of these programs is to provide proof that you can handle medical school, after all.

Thirdly, are post-bacc programs really worth it? If I can get around taking a post-bacc, (and avoid the excessive tuition fees), and jump right into medical school, I'd do it if I knew how. The only justification for taking a post-bacc, from the research I've done, is to "make up" for a low undergrad GPA or gain the necessary science knowledge if one has never been exposed to it before.

Yes, they're fine. it's an urban legend among pre-meds that CC coursework is looked down upon..

Are taking classes at a regular community college OK? I'd imagine this is hard to do on a military lifestyle. Have any active duty personnel done this in the past?

If you have any F/D/C science grades, AACOMAS' grade replacement policy will do wonders for your GPA.

Many thanks for your service to your country.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, they're fine. it's an urban legend among pre-meds that CC coursework is looked down upon..

I can understand this if you're going from a CC to a four year, but is this still true when you are going from a four year to a CC? (I'm curious about the CC courses debate as well.)

Active,

I'm finishing a degree by doing my own DIY prereq degree completion, nontrad like you. All, and I mean all, of my prereqs were at a cc, transient status while finishing my degree at a 4yr university. Get good grades using the DO grade replacement, do well on the mcat, be a doctor....you can do this

I can understand this if you're going from a CC to a four year, but is this still true when you are going from a four year to a CC? (I'm curious about the CC courses debate as well.)
For career changers, we recognize that CC may be the only option for many. A strong MCAT along with good post bac grades will go along way toward success.

For career changers, we recognize that CC may be the only option for many. A strong MCAT along with good post bac grades will go along way toward success.

It's nice to have adcoms like you and goro saying this. You simply can't find an evening or weekend science lab in my local 4yr university. And it's a HUGE university.

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Is the DO grade replacement program for DO applicants only? Does it permanently change the grades on your undergrad transcripts? How does one go about applying for this?

Is the AACOMAS' grade replacement policy the same thing as the DO grade replacement program?

Thanks again everyone.

Yes, aacomas is the application service for DO (osteopathic) schools, amcas is for MD (allopathic) schools. Aacomas allows grades replacement, amcas does not

Yes, aacomas is the application service for DO (osteopathic) schools, amcas is for MD (allopathic) schools. Aacomas allows grades replacement, amcas does not

Your original grades remain visible to the DO schools. Your gpa is recalculated, though.

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Is the DO grade replacement program for DO applicants only? Does it permanently change the grades on your undergrad transcripts? How does one go about applying for this?

Is the AACOMAS' grade replacement policy the same thing as the DO grade replacement program?

Thanks again everyone.

This is only relevant though if you are repeating courses for grade improvement. Like if you failed organic chemistry I you could take it again somewhere else and they would potentially take your better grade. Did you take many medical school pre-reqs that you would possibly repeat as an english major?

Qurmish,

No, I didn't take any med school pre-reqs as an English major, so I guess the grade replacement program won't help me.

At this point, I feel a solid post-bac program that supports the "Yellow Ribbon Program" for veterans is what I really need.

Hello all,

I'm currently an officer in the US Navy and would like to attend medical school. I'm only interested in US based medical schools, (DO or MD programs are fine), and I am not interested in becoming a doctor in the military, (no HPSP).

P.S.
In the future post in the Non-Trad Forum a lot of ex-military guys check it and can offer advice.

Thirdly, are post-bacc programs really worth it? If I can get around taking a post-bacc, (and avoid the excessive tuition fees), and jump right into medical school, I'd do it if I knew how. The only justification for taking a post-bacc, from the research I've done, is to "make up" for a low undergrad GPA or gain the necessary science knowledge if one has never been exposed to it before. Are taking classes at a regular community college OK? I'd imagine this is hard to do on a military lifestyle. Have any active duty personnel done this in the past?

Any help on these questions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Salty,
I was an captain in the Army when I decided to pursue medicine. I looked at a number of options to try and get around the additional coursework and it simply wasn't doable. In the end I got out and took a two year DIY post bacc at the state school. I used the Post-9/11 GI bill to cover the cost of classes (I paid for summer classes out of pocket to save as much of the scholarship as I could) and am using the remainder of it to cover the first 2 years of med school.

I am not sure of anything regarding formal post-baccs but you may have difficulty getting them covered since they are not for a degree, while if you do a DIY post-bacc you can argue that those credits count towards a degree. It is kind of a grey area and you will really need to talk to the VA administrator at the school you want to go to and see what their opinion is and what they will sign off on.

I was like you in that I wanted to study on my own, not take any extra classes and leave active duty straight for med school. Ultimately that would not have been a smart move. (I know of no active duty members who have done it). Leaving the military allowed me to focus on classes. You need one year (slightly more) to knock out basic pre-reqs so that the grades can be on your transcript for the adcoms to see. If you are like me and have not had classes in close to a decade you need to demonstrate an ability to handle the course work. More than that you need time to relearn this information well so that you can do well on the MCAT and can hopefully take a few extra courses beyond the pre-reqs. (This will help you a lot). It will also give you time to shadow physicians and get involved in research. You want to make your application as complete as possible. The military thing will help but you still need to cover the basics.

I left the military in 2010 and I start my second year at a great medical school in September. Don't rush take the time to do it right and you won't regret it. If you have any questions PM me. Good luck.

One last question everyone (I asked this on the military thread as well),

Is anyone aware of any post-bacs with a linkage program, (I think that's what they are called...), that do NOT require the applicant to take the MCAT? I've heard stories of applicants to medical school who never took the MCAT. Is this even possible?

Thanks again.

Is anyone aware of any post-bacs with a linkage program, (I think that's what they are called...), that do NOT require the applicant to take the MCAT? I've heard stories of applicants to medical school who never took the MCAT. Is this even possible?

Thanks again.
Never heard of one, but I am no expert. I would plan on taking the MCAT so that you can choose a school that fits you.

Also in the future look at posting in the Non-Trad forum a lot of ex-military check it and offer advice.

Thanks again.

They do exist and they are school specific. You are going to have to do some research on your own to find out if any schools have no MCAT linkage in an area you want to be in. I'm not sure what the advantage would be for you though. Are you concerned that you will not perform well on the MCAT? They typically involve having VERY high science GPAs. Often if you were eligible for linkage you would be very far above the averages for the school and would likely have little trouble getting admittance to other schools. You may find that these options will be cut off from you due to your undergrad GPA.

Would I still be excluded from this program with a high post-bac GPA? Yes, I'm worried I won't do too well on the MCAT because of my lack of science experience. I'm hoping the post-bac program I'll enroll in will be good enough to assist with MCAT prep.

Thanks again everyone.

Would I still be excluded from this program with a high post-bac GPA? Yes, I'm worried I won't do too well on the MCAT because of my lack of science experience. I'm hoping the post-bac program I'll enroll in will be good enough to assist with MCAT prep.

Thanks again everyone.

It's not just one program, there are a lot of schools that have linkages. Your anxiety about performing well on the MCAT is a little bit confusing. You know that you will only be tested on material that is taught in the pre-req classes, right? Most people have nothing but the basic medical school pre-reqs before taking the MCAT and do fine.

Last edited: