Active Duty Preferences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NMC2010

τετέλεσται
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm in the process of filling out the DCA form for the HPSP scholarship and it asks me what my preferences are for where I'll be stationed (gives 3 options). My recruiter said most choose Hawaii, Colorado, and Texas. Can anyone show me where to find some options for this, or tell me why you chose a specific location? Am I allowed to change my preferences later on?

My family dentist chose Iraq, and said the experience was amazing (though there were obviously hard times with it as well) and he learned so much more by choosing to go into a war zone. I don't know if I should do this, or look at alternatives. Anyone have insight?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I'm in the process of filling out the DCA form for the HPSP scholarship and it asks me what my preferences are for where I'll be stationed (gives 3 options). My recruiter said most choose Hawaii, Colorado, and Texas. Can anyone show me where to find some options for this, or tell me why you chose a specific location? Am I allowed to change my preferences later on?

My family dentist chose Iraq, and said the experience was amazing (though there were obviously hard times with it as well) and he learned so much more by choosing to go into a war zone. I don't know if I should do this, or look at alternatives. Anyone have insight?

Thanks!

Hello,

Who was your family dentist that went to Iraq? I am curious If I know her.

You can choose where you want to go based on your own preferences. I chose Ft. Bragg, NC as my #1 choice because I wanted to "experience" the Army. I did not care that it was not in a "plush" location.

What year are you in school?

Hello,

Who was your family dentist that went to Iraq? I am curious If I know her.

You can choose where you want to go based on your own preferences. I chose Ft. Bragg, NC as my #1 choice because I wanted to "experience" the Army. I did not care that it was not in a "plush" location.

What year are you in school?

Thanks for the reply! My dentist is (edited). I think he's been in private practice for 6-7 years now. I'd prefer to get somewhere that gives the best experience as well, but I unfortunately don't know where those locations are (aside from war zones). My recruiter just told me that most dentists go to Colorado, Texas, and Hawaii. Any chance you could give me some insight here?

I'm not in dental school yet. This is my senior year of undergrad, so I'm currently filling out all the HPSP scholarship forms. On the DCA AMEDD form, I have to say what my preferences are for active duty. I'm hoping that these are flexible since I won't actually be in the army for another 4 and a half years.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply! My dentist is Dr. Jonathan Davis. I think he's been in private practice for 6-7 years now. I'd prefer to get somewhere that gives the best experience as well, but I unfortunately don't know where those locations are (aside from war zones). My recruiter just told me that most dentists go to Colorado, Texas, and Hawaii. Any chance you could give me some insight here?

I'm not in dental school yet. This is my senior year of undergrad, so I'm currently filling out all the HPSP scholarship forms. On the DCA AMEDD form, I have to say what my preferences are for active duty. I'm hoping that these are flexible since I won't actually be in the army for another 4 and a half years.
According to my recruiter, the locations that you pick before you actually attend dental school don't really matter because you will have a chance to pick them again once you are closer to graduating dental school. Just pick 3 for now that you think you might want, it isn't a permanent choice yet.

Yeah, those locations don't matter at all. Your last year of dental school you actually submit your chioces. When I did it we selected our top 10 choices, might be different when you get there.

If I learned anything while in dental school with HPSP, there's the "official forms" and then there are the forms that are actually used :p

Correct...doesn't matter what you put down now. Senior year you will choose. BTW Hawaii and Colorado are 2 of the hardest places to get to - very popular and lots of people want it. Unless you are doing a 1 yr or 2 yr AEGD at one of those locations...not very likely.