Active duty to Medschool while still A/d?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mybosswontapproveofthis

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
New here, and Education center was confused when I asked. Im currently a Pilot on Active duty orders, I have a few years left on my contract(initially 8 years), and Im trying to go to medical school. I've enjoyed my time as a pilot and its been great, but I've seen the life I'll live if I make this a career in my current field. I applied to med school in college and decided I wasnt ready/mature enough and thought the military would be good for me. I've learned a lot and still have that passion, is there a way to go to medical school while active duty? I know of the HSPS, and USUHS but I have not seen any options of going to med school under active duty orders. Plus if there is a way would it require a rank reduction? I know with HPSP/UNUHS you start off as a O1 then promote to O2 and are promoted to O3 on completion. Im currently an O3 and also wondering if I would take a pay/rank cut doing so.

Members don't see this ad.

Short answer is no. You also need to a permission to apply medical school while you are active duty.

It is possible, just not the most likely.

I dont know what branch you are, but look at Physician Pilot Program with the Air Force. Combines both. There have been instances before when the military "letting people go" for things as big as this, but as the comment above states, you need special permission to do so, and you're not truly being let go. You're basically deferring that time, and usually required that you'd do something like HPSP or USUHS, incur that time, plus the time you have remaining from the deferred remaining service.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is possible, just not the most likely.

I dont know what branch you are, but look at Physician Pilot Program with the Air Force. Combines both. There have been instances before when the military "letting people go" for things as big as this, but as the comment above states, you need special permission to do so, and you're not truly being let go. You're basically deferring that time, and usually required that you'd do something like HPSP or USUHS, incur that time, plus the time you have remaining from the deferred remaining service.

Im trying to stay in, and also not opposed to the ADSO. I know many programs that allow you to go to law school, PA school etc active duty but I couldnt find anything medical related.

I believe you are considered active duty when attending USUHS - I found a "What You Need to Know" PDF on their website, here is an excerpt:

"While enrolled in the School of Medicine, students serve on active duty as commissioned officers in grade O-1 (i.e., Second Lieutenant in the Army or Air Force, Ensign in the Navy or Public Health Service) with full pay and allowances for that grade. Military personnel accepted for entrance who hold appointments in grades higher than O-1 must be recommissioned as an O-1 upon matriculation."

USUHS What You Need to Know

I would give that document a good read. It does appear that while you are at school the time does not count towards your retirement and you only start adding to your 20 (or 30 in this case maybe) years after you finish residency.

Through usuhs you’ll be paid at your current time and grave but BAH as a 0-1. Your years there count toward retirement pay but not until you’ve already hit 20. Ie retire at 20, pay is calculated with 24 years of service.

You can apply directly from HPSP or usuhs with HRC approval. When I was looking at this, it requires branch manager and brigade commander approval and some magic within HRC. It’s challenging but people do it.

Reactions: 1 user
Through usuhs you’ll be paid at your current time and grave but BAH as a 0-1. Your years there count toward retirement pay but not until you’ve already hit 20. Ie retire at 20, pay is calculated with 24 years of service.

You can apply directly from HPSP or usuhs with HRC approval. When I was looking at this, it requires branch manager and brigade commander approval and some magic within HRC. It’s challenging but people do it.

Real MVP, and yeah at this time HRC/Branch of Aviation does not grant branch releases very easily. But I really appreciate it. Cause by the time I am done with my adso I'll basically be halfway to retirement. So figured Ill stay in a little longer and not take the debt.

When they work out the contract, they add any leftover adso to the hpsp/usuhs adso agreement. People seemed more willing to say yes once they learned the army wasn’t just waiving aviation adso.

Reactions: 1 user
Nice thread, I'm following. Somewhat similar situation. Currently active duty O-3 in Navy, applying this 20-21 cycle. I have technically finished my active duty service obligation and could drop separation papers any time nine-months prior to my intended separation date. I am on shore duty with a PRD of JUN 2021. I'd like to stay active duty all the way up to either 1) going to USUHS or 2) going HPSP to a normal med school. Trying to figure out the approval to apply to USUHS part. I found a sample letter that needs to be signed by CO, but don't know when USUHS needs this (https://www.usuhs.edu/sites/default/files/media/adm/interview/sample.pdf). Going to contact them and find out. Maybe during secondary application process. Still trying to figure out the HPSP contingent resignation piece. It seems more involved.