Active Nuclear Pharmacists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChrisToePha

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any active nuclear pharmacists here on this board I could speak to? I found SpriviaSunrise, but she is not an active person on this forum any longer.

I wanted to seek some advice and tips in seeking this career pathway I have done a good amount of research, but I want to ask someone who is an actual Nuclear Pharmacist.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

What year in school are you? Cardinal and GE offer paid summer internships. You apply around November for them.

I too am interested in this and look forward to future posts.

Members don't see this ad :)
What year in school are you? Cardinal and GE offer paid summer internships. You apply around November for them.

I am a rising P1 student this upcoming Fall 2013. Cardinal only has two locations for internships, and that's Ohio and Illinois. I am not near around there, I cannot seek an internship there.

As for GE the closest pharmacy to me is 3 hours. =/

I want to speak to a professional though. Anyone on this board that is one?!

If Spiriva Sunrise is the old Nuclear Pharmacy info thread, she did respond to my post about a month ago. Though I didn't have the heart to tell her I was actually asking about the young lady in the picture :love::cool:

If Spiriva Sunrise is the old Nuclear Pharmacy info thread, she did respond to my post about a month ago. Though I didn't have the heart to tell her I was actually asking about the young lady in the picture :love::cool:

You are lucky, haha. I have tried to talk to her about 3 months ago and still no luck or response from her :(

Nuclear Pharmacy is a small specialized niche in the field of pharmacy. Some states have as many as 20 Nuclear Pharmacies, some just one, and some don’t even have any. To get a better idea you can check out the website nuclear.pharmacy.purdue.edu and click the link where it shows all the Nuclear Pharmacies in the United States. Per the website there are about 423 Nuclear Pharmacies in the United States, but I don’t think it has been updated in a while.

The major “chains” in Nuclear are Cardinal Health, GE, Triad, PETNET and they operate about 50%, maybe more, of the Nuclear Pharmacies. The are basically centralized pharmacies, i.e. central fills for a certain geographic area. The rest of the Pharmacies are Independent or in Institutions.

Nuclear Pharmacy can be broken down into two groups. Pharmacies that compound/dispense SPECT (Single Photon Emission Computed Tomography) radiopharmaceuticals and those that compound/dispense PET (Positron Emission Tomography) radiopharmaceuticals. I don’t know the exact percentage, but I would say 90% of the Pharmacies are SPECT. 90% of radiopharmaceuticals are diagnostic, 10% therapeutic

Cardinal Health, GE, and Triad for the most part are SPECT. Cardinal is trying to go more into PET. PETNET only does PET, dropping SPECT a couple years back (they saw the writing on the wall). SPECT facilities on average have lost 50% of their profit margin in the past 3 years.

SPECT is no longer profitable due to many factors, including higher costs for materials, lower reimbursement, alternative modalities that are not only cheaper but more effective. SPECT in the near future will also be replaced by PET. PET is the future of the industry, and the bread and butter of SPECT, Cardiolite/Myoview (70% of the doses on a given day), already has a replacement in Phase III trials. If cardiolite/myoview go, so does SPECT.

This past year Triad closed down a number of pharmacies with ~60 pharmacists getting laid off (each pharmacy has usually 1-4 pharmacists). GE wants to get out of the compounding/dispensing side of the business and is trying to sell their SPECT labs. Cardinal is also downsizing their SPECT pharmacies with a handful closed this year with more possibly in the future. This past August Cardinal Health reported that they took a loss in its fiscal fourth quarter after writing down the value of its nuclear pharmacy business by $829 million. All pharmacies are also cutting staff, including pharmacists! The working conditions now match retail; less help, more work, critical management and fear of being fired/laid off at any moment. Again at its peak there were only about 400 Nuclear Pharmacies, 5-10% have closed in the past 3-4 years.

PET is the future, however that future in uncertain. PETNET is fairing better, but the profit margin of the main PET radiopharmaceutical , FDG, has dropped significantly. New agents are in the pipeline, however , the fear is that you will have a great drug that will give you a beautiful diagnostic image, but does the cost of the drug justify getting the image? Will insurance companies even pay for it? PET facilities also do not need as many pharmacists as SPECT and in reality don’t even need a pharmacist (they could in actuality just be run by engineers). They are also more expensive to build, so less will be built to cover the same geographic area. (yes, yes, those that are more familiar with PET may say well the half life of most of the radiopharmaceuticals does not allow for that, you need more facilities. My answer is that I know PET facilities that deliver to hospitals 4-5 hours away!)

What I see in the future is the majority of Nuclear Pharmacists getting laid off, with the few remaining working at the few PET facilities, independent SPECT facilities that are able to stay in the black, and some in Institutions.

Nuclear Pharmacy is a small specialized niche in the field of pharmacy. Some states have as many as 20 Nuclear Pharmacies, some just one, and some don’t even have any. To get a better idea you can check out the website nuclear.pharmacy.purdue.edu and click the link where it shows all the Nuclear Pharmacies in the United States. Per the website there are about 423 Nuclear Pharmacies in the United States, but I don’t think it has been updated in a while.

The major “chains” in Nuclear are Cardinal Health, GE, Triad, PETNET and they operate about 50%, maybe more, of the Nuclear Pharmacies. The are basically centralized pharmacies, i.e. central fills for a certain geographic area. The rest of the Pharmacies are Independent or in Institutions.

Nuclear Pharmacy can be broken down into two groups. Pharmacies that compound/dispense SPECT (Single Photon Emission Computed Tomography) radiopharmaceuticals and those that compound/dispense PET (Positron Emission Tomography) radiopharmaceuticals. I don’t know the exact percentage, but I would say 90% of the Pharmacies are SPECT. 90% of radiopharmaceuticals are diagnostic, 10% therapeutic

Cardinal Health, GE, and Triad for the most part are SPECT. Cardinal is trying to go more into PET. PETNET only does PET, dropping SPECT a couple years back (they saw the writing on the wall). SPECT facilities on average have lost 50% of their profit margin in the past 3 years.

SPECT is no longer profitable due to many factors, including higher costs for materials, lower reimbursement, alternative modalities that are not only cheaper but more effective. SPECT in the near future will also be replaced by PET. PET is the future of the industry, and the bread and butter of SPECT, Cardiolite/Myoview (70% of the doses on a given day), already has a replacement in Phase III trials. If cardiolite/myoview go, so does SPECT.

This past year Triad closed down a number of pharmacies with ~60 pharmacists getting laid off (each pharmacy has usually 1-4 pharmacists). GE wants to get out of the compounding/dispensing side of the business and is trying to sell their SPECT labs. Cardinal is also downsizing their SPECT pharmacies with a handful closed this year with more possibly in the future. This past August Cardinal Health reported that they took a loss in its fiscal fourth quarter after writing down the value of its nuclear pharmacy business by $829 million. All pharmacies are also cutting staff, including pharmacists! The working conditions now match retail; less help, more work, critical management and fear of being fired/laid off at any moment. Again at its peak there were only about 400 Nuclear Pharmacies, 5-10% have closed in the past 3-4 years.

PET is the future, however that future in uncertain. PETNET is fairing better, but the profit margin of the main PET radiopharmaceutical , FDG, has dropped significantly. New agents are in the pipeline, however , the fear is that you will have a great drug that will give you a beautiful diagnostic image, but does the cost of the drug justify getting the image? Will insurance companies even pay for it? PET facilities also do not need as many pharmacists as SPECT and in reality don’t even need a pharmacist (they could in actuality just be run by engineers). They are also more expensive to build, so less will be built to cover the same geographic area. (yes, yes, those that are more familiar with PET may say well the half life of most of the radiopharmaceuticals does not allow for that, you need more facilities. My answer is that I know PET facilities that deliver to hospitals 4-5 hours away!)

What I see in the future is the majority of Nuclear Pharmacists getting laid off, with the few remaining working at the few PET facilities, independent SPECT facilities that are able to stay in the black, and some in Institutions.

Are you a nuclear pharmacist?!

You know so much, this makes me want to stray away from the career a bit, it sounds like a field I would enjoy being able to work a lot in the lab and with big machines!

I am questioning this pathway now.

Are you a nuclear pharmacist?!

You know so much, this makes me want to stray away from the career a bit, it sounds like a field I would enjoy being able to work a lot in the lab and with big machines!

I am questioning this pathway now.

I worked in nuclear.. I would agree 100% with what that guy was saying..

But. If you are motivated it is still an option. Like most of pharmacy these days your career will be determined by how hard you work to stand out. Personally the great nuke pharmacists I knew jumped ship to epic or to inpatient clinical.

If yoi want to make a go of it .. find a very rural mom and pop or go to petnet .. they took a gigantic, business sized bite out of cardinal and ge the past few years.

Nuke and particularly pet type will continue advancing that is for sure.. but reimbursement and coverage of those procedures/scans is likely to go down as well .. so there will be some winners and many losers .

It seems like no matter where I look theres just another doom and gloom story of the pharmaceutical industry. Pharmacy in the U.S is a multi billion dollar business there has to bright side to the industry. Which pharmacy niche is on the rise???

It seems like no matter where I look theres just another doom and gloom story of the pharmaceutical industry. Pharmacy in the U.S is a multi billion dollar business there has to bright side to the industry. Which pharmacy niche is on the rise???

Specialty

Well the bright side is script volume is doubling every 5-10 years and more and more companies are covering pharmacist provided services .. Medicare Part D with the new PPACA act will now cover one $120/hr counseling services and pay for 1 visit per year.. more providers are taking notice of this and referring to us ... also the fact that prescription drug spending is such a huge percent of the country's healthcare budget means that as spending grows and healthcare utilization grows, more pharmacists are being needed to help cap those costs via benefit management.. however that is a small niche.

Really the growth I see is coming from retail picking up more prescriptions, mail order / central fulfillment robotic pharmacy warehouses picking up more prescriptions , and from hospitals, hospital corporations, HMO's, and provider networks realizing that pharmacists can often save 10x their salaries in terms of optimizing medication management. Kaiser Permanente for example , their team of therapy manager / consultant pharmacists save their corporation in the 10s of millions of $ per year in spending on drugs and by reducing negative outcomes. I believe this will be the model of the future with ACO's and larger hospital corporations. they will not be able to compete with organizations when they are spending unnecessary millions on drug therapy problems.

I think a recent study came out valuing the $ loss nationally from poor adherence to be $100 billion/year ... pharmacists are valuable in helping this and thus you see MTM management companies paying pharmacists $20 for a 5 minute adherence phone call.

The field is changing , and it is both broadening and narrowing.. In the meanwhile, many areas will experience upheaval , layoffs, etc .. but other areas will be hiring and expanding roles. Which is why half of the people out there are viewing it from either their shrinking silo or from their 'unicorn'/fairyland silo ... and nobody ever really arrives together to a shared viewpoint.

JMHO

Well the bright side is script volume is doubling every 5-10 years and more and more companies are covering pharmacist provided services .. Medicare Part D with the new PPACA act will now cover one $120/hr counseling services and pay for 1 visit per year.. more providers are taking notice of this and referring to us ... also the fact that prescription drug spending is such a huge percent of the country's healthcare budget means that as spending grows and healthcare utilization grows, more pharmacists are being needed to help cap those costs via benefit management.. however that is a small niche.

Really the growth I see is coming from retail picking up more prescriptions, mail order / central fulfillment robotic pharmacy warehouses picking up more prescriptions , and from hospitals, hospital corporations, HMO's, and provider networks realizing that pharmacists can often save 10x their salaries in terms of optimizing medication management. Kaiser Permanente for example , their team of therapy manager / consultant pharmacists save their corporation in the 10s of millions of $ per year in spending on drugs and by reducing negative outcomes. I believe this will be the model of the future with ACO's and larger hospital corporations. they will not be able to compete with organizations when they are spending unnecessary millions on drug therapy problems.

I think a recent study came out valuing the $ loss nationally from poor adherence to be $100 billion/year ... pharmacists are valuable in helping this and thus you see MTM management companies paying pharmacists $20 for a 5 minute adherence phone call.

The field is changing , and it is both broadening and narrowing.. In the meanwhile, many areas will experience upheaval , layoffs, etc .. but other areas will be hiring and expanding roles. Which is why half of the people out there are viewing it from either their shrinking silo or from their 'unicorn'/fairyland silo ... and nobody ever really arrives together to a shared viewpoint.

JMHO

One of the more insightful posts I've read on this forum. :thumbup:

Some compounding pharmacies are doing well too. If you like making creams, ointments, tablets, capsules, troches and injectables in school, You'll love working at a compounding pharmacy.

Corporate

Are there any active nuclear pharmacists here on this board I could speak to? I found SpriviaSunrise, but she is not an active person on this forum any longer.

I wanted to seek some advice and tips in seeking this career pathway I have done a good amount of research, but I want to ask someone who is an actual Nuclear Pharmacist.

Thanks!

Hey! My sincerest apologies. Hadn't logged on for quite some time, and am only now getting to your PM's. Let me know if you've gotten most of your questions answered. If not, I can get you in touch with someone at our recruiting/corporate offices. Best of luck!