activities section contact

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doglova

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply. Do they verify just the accuracy of the information listed? Or do they ask about personality?

Hypothetically, if I worked for a lab for a year for many hours, published, but then got the recs from ugrad how bad would it look? At this point I feel I've dug my grave and I just have to lay in it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Working in a lab long enough to have a publication and then not having a LOR from that PI does look bad. Maybe not bad enough to get your application tossed but it is going to a question that might be explored at interview.

Reactions: 1 user
....why does everyone hate you at your lab? And what does your personality have to do with it? A red flag is a red flag, hard to cover those up without incurring some risk that it’ll get uncovered and double down in consequence for you.

It's just a unhealthy work environment. I'll leave it at that. The main issue is that if I don't list it at all, it would look like I did absolutely nothing during my gap year, and I would forfeit any publications or output from said lab.

Also curious about this. I thought verification was just for the hours and description accuracy.

If you were fired from a job but listed all the correct hours and responsibilities, that wouldn't be grounds for an acceptance rescind right?
It certainly wouldn't look good but it wasn't a lie.

On a side note I actually had an ADCOM reach out to me via phone about an activity section on my app. They inquired more about my duties at said job and it turned into a interview invite 3 weeks later.

I've also heard you can just list the HR department to verify hours. Or if it was research done through your university and you took a class for it, use the registrars office to verify your hours/credit received.

Reactions: 1 users
Why not sit down with the PI and ask them if they feel they would be able to recommend you for med school if asked. Or have they already told you no?

Surely EVERYONE cant hate you...however if they do, it says more about you than the work environment. maybe find someone there that can tell you why. Maybe you have some undesirable personality traits that could be problematic during interview.

Thanks for the reply. Long story short, in addition to being bullied for a disability my peers went behind my back to steal my files and take credit for my work and present it at conferences. The PI sided with my peers because I'm super introverted, never told my side of the story, and thought I did nothing all day. To this day, he still doesn't know what I did and my peers are trying to publish it. Retrospectively, I really should have just told someone but that ship sailed. On one hand I don't want to create trouble since the PI keeps threatening to fire me but on the other hand it's been unfair. I think a fair appraisal would be that it's a toxic environment for introverts. I went to the university's HR, but they don't seem to care. Is there anything I could do in this case?

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. Long story short, in addition to being bullied for a disability my peers went behind my back to steal my files and take credit for my work and present it at conferences. The PI sided with my peers because I'm super introverted, never told my side of the story, and thought I did nothing all day. To this day, he still doesn't know what I did and my peers are trying to publish it. Retrospectively, I really should have just told someone but that ship sailed. On one hand I don't want to create trouble since the PI keeps threatening to fire me but on the other hand it's been ridiculous and unfair. I think a fair appraisal would be that it's a toxic environment for introverts. I went to the university's HR, but they don't seem to care. Is there anything I could do in this case?

Definitely sounds like a horrible situation and clearly you cannot count on the PI to help. Personally I’m not one to stay in hostile workplaces even if HR jumps in. Are there other PIs you can work with?

As far as that time, and reporting it, maybe an ADCOM will chime in.

As far as being introverted, you will find in healthcare that it is important for you to be able to standup for yourself. If you can’t do it for you, how can you do it for others....your patients. Not saying you need to 180 right now, but definitely work on it. Often being an introvert is seen as low self-esteem and/or weakness. I hope you get some useful advice!

Reactions: 1 users